The Metabolism-Boosting HIIT Workout You Need for Summer
High-Intensity Interval Training (AKA HIIT) is one of our favorite ways to boost metabolism and sculpt your entire body. HIIT workouts mix bursts of high-intensity cardio with full-body toning moves to define your gorgeous muscles. Plus, HIIT routines get us into that fat-burning state called excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). This means you’ll be burning calories all day long, even after your workout ends!
We put together a quick and majorly effective HIIT workout that will have you feeling extra toned and confident for summer. You’re going to be burning up and glowing!
Go through three rounds:
1. Deep Squat + Press: Stand with your legs more than hip-width apart and hold dumbbells by your side. Squat down until knees reach a 90-degree angle. Make sure your knees don’t go over your toes. Straighten your legs and stand tall as you press arms into the air above your head, palms facing forward. Keep core engaged throughout the move.
Complete 20 reps.
2. Lunge Squat Jumps: Begin standing tall, feet staggered. Jump up into a lunge with your right foot in front of you, landing softly and ensuring your front knee doesn’t go past the front toe. Push off the ground, jump up, and switch legs in the air to land back down into a lunge with your left leg in front of you. Keep your abs tight throughout the move.
Complete eight reps on each side, 16 reps total.
3. Tummy Toner + Pushup: Begin in plank position with hands directly below shoulders and spine in a straight line, core engaged. Bring left knee up to left elbow, targeting your oblique. As your knee comes to your elbow, perform a pushup and keep your knee raised to your side. As you lift from your push-up, your leg returns to plank position. Switch sides to reach right knee up to right elbow. Continue alternating sides, making sure your back remains straight.
Complete five reps on each side, 10 reps total.
4. Plank Jacks: Begin in plank, hands directly below your shoulders and core engaged. Hop out with both legs, then immediately hop back to starting position. Make sure to keep your back neutral throughout the move and core engaged.
Complete 20 reps.
5. Bicycle Crunches: Lay on your back with hands by your ears, legs raised and bent at a 90-degree angle, and shoulders lifted off the ground. Lower your left leg and lift your shoulders slightly off the ground to twist your body to the right so that your left elbow meets your right knee. Switch sides.
Complete 15 reps on each side, 30 reps total.
Sexy, lean muscles are made with your workouts and revealed with your nutrition! Join the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan to gain access to thousands of slimming recipes and tons of nutrition advice to fuel your body and get the best results.
(Photos and GIFs via Tone It Up)