7 Tips for Getting the Career of Your Dreams
We created Tone It Up, a global fitness and lifestyle community, out of a friendship and a dream. Seven years ago, Katrina and I met at a gym in Manhattan Beach, California on a Friday night. We quickly realized that we both had similar goals: We wanted to start a community where women from all over the world could support and motivate each other to be their fittest and most confident selves. And from that dream, Tone It Up was born! We started with just the two of us and a tripod filming fitness videos on the beach, and we've grown into a worldwide community with fitness videos, premium workouts, a Tone It Up Nutrition Plan, and workout apparel and gear. We're even launching Tone It Up Protein bars in Target! We've learned so much along the way, and today we're sharing our top tips for succeeding as a female entrepreneur and turning your dreams into your reality.
1. Take risks. Don't be afraid to take a chance on something new. Change is uncomfortable, but you need to get out of your comfort zone to truly make your dreams happen. If we never took a chance and went for our dreams, we wouldn't have this amazing community and a best friend in each other. Katrina and I reminisce about, “What if we didn't decide to talk to each other that night at the gym? What if she never approached me?" Don't let a moment go by, a word go unsaid, or a chance go untaken.
2. Always stick to your roots. This is one of the most important lessons we've learned since starting Tone It Up. When making every decision in our business, big or small, we always think back to why we started Tone It Up — to create a community where healthy and empowered women come together to live their best lives — and we stay true to that original mission.
3. Trust your instincts. Six years ago, we had a gut instinct that women would want a series of workouts and lifestyle advice to help them feel their most confident for summer. We followed that instinct and created the first Bikini Series. We actually came up with the idea the night before we filmed it! Sometimes your most important ideas that will change your life come out of the craziest and most unexpected moments. Now, we're launching our sixth annual Bikini Series with eight weeks of daily workouts, fitness videos, tons of new recipes and nutrition advice, daily motivation, and live workouts on @ToneItUp.
4. Find your support system. Having two of us has been incredible. It's amazing having your best friend as your co-founder because you get to support each other and experience everything together. We get to learn together, lean on each other, and share each moment.
5. Organize your priorities. We're always juggling a lot — photo and video shoots, business meetings, running our social media @ToneItUp and @ToneItUpKatrina — so it's essential for us to make lists to organize it all! Every day, we each make a list of priorities and focus on the top of the list first and work our way down. If some things at the bottom of the list don't get done, that's okay. There's always tomorrow!
6. Never forget to focus on YOU. We also schedule in time for ourselves, our workouts, meditation, journaling, and setting our intentions every day because it's so important to prioritize yourself and your health. When you prioritize yourself, you're able to be a better leader, coworker, friend, wife, and family member to everyone else around you. The people in your life will be drawn to your positivity.
7. Do everything from love. The most important thing in both your professional and personal life is to make sure you're doing everything out of love and passion. We followed our passions and they led us to this incredible community. When you're driven by love and passion, you can achieve things you never thought possible!
Looking for more advice to become strong and confident? Sign up for the Bikini Series HERE! It's eight weeks of heart-pumping workouts, delicious recipes, live workouts, and tons of motivation and support from the Tone It Up community!
(Photos via Tone It Up)