27 Ways to Refresh Your Winter Wardrobe Courtesy of New York Fashion Week
It may have been cold and rainy during New York Fashion Week, but trust us — the looks were pure fire. Per usual, the hottest (and dare we say most practical) trends aren’t always spotted on the runway. Instead, turn your attention to the fierce fashion from some of the industry’s most trusted street style stars to get expert styling hacks, color combo ideas and beyond original ways to upgrade classic silos and shades. Get ready for a bit of shopping inspo, because below we’re showing you our favorite street style snaps that we took at NYFW.
The streets were filled with bold color to combat the cold and we are absolutely here for it. Frigid temps don’t always mean that you have to resort to your go-to grays and basic black toppers. Instead, reach for puffer jackets and faux furs in sweet pastel shades or longline coats in bright hues. Some of our fave looks brought monochromatic style to new levels with touches of color-blocked accessories and statement stripes that will carry on to spring.
1. Color Blocked Cape + Denim: Yes to all of this magic. Bonus points awarded for bringing a cape into the mix.
2. Statement Stripes: Stripes are officially the pattern to sport stat if you want to hit refresh on your wardrobe. Take some style cues from this trendsetter by stepping out in varying widths within one killer palette.
3. Pastel Puffer: It doesn’t get better than this styling trick that turns your everyday all-weather jacket into a major statement piece via a cool shade of lavender. We see you, color-blocked t-neck and bag!
4. Bright Coats: Go big or go home, ladies. Rethink your classic coat by opting for a bright hue and a contrasting belt bag.
5. Mellow Yellow: Introducing the color you never knew you always needed this season. We spotted this duo in coordinating yellow and black ensembles and immediately took notice.
6. Colorful (Faux) Fur: Looking for an investment piece that will turn heads? Look no further than a faux fur chubby in an unexpected shade of pink.
7. Monochromatic Mustard: This pic is a master’s class in wearing a head-to-toe hue. Add subtle stripes and touches of tortoise to break up the look.
8. Red Hot: Trust us when we say red is going to become your new signature color this season and next. We spotted it everywhere from the runway to the sidewalk in all over styles and simple accents.
9. Statement Fur: Ummm, yes. Yes to all of this gorgeousness that brings several trends together in one ah-mazing look.
10. Dynamic Denim: Rethink your go-to denim and go for broke with a bright color. Hello, Power Pink.
Basics are never boring when you keep unexpected details, luxe accents and playful proportions in mind. Calling all minimalists and lovers of all things classic, these Instababes know how to turn wardrobe staples into instant must-haves. Bottom line — this season’s most snapped looks are probably already in your closet.
11. Stripes + Plaid: Chances are you already have a striped crew neck or plaid jacket in your arsenal. Put these trusted pieces front and center and pair with exaggerated silos and laid-back-but-lavish styling.
12. Utility Jacket Upgrade: Guys, it is all about a simple utility jacket with a twist. If you don’t already own this wardrobe workhorse, then now is your time to invest in an option with touches of Mongolian fur or fringe.
13. 50 Shades of Gray: Bring all of your standard moody staples together into one dynamic look. A few gray items here and there are nice — but when worn simultaneously it turns heads.
14. Trench Warfare: Trendsetters were battling in out decked in spring’s most versatile piece that you prob already have — the trench coat. Whether you grab a tried and true camel or a refreshingly clean white, you really can’t go wrong.
15. Pom Wonderful: Look for timeless styles that have just the right amount of quirk. Case in point — this tan masterpiece with pom-pom accents.
16. Exaggerated Effects: Looking to hack your way to Instababe status? Reach for oversized separates and exaggerated silos of your fave closet staples.
17. Pantsuit Nation: This is the year of the pantsuit. Look for styles that feature femme details, power stripes and rich hues.
18. Petite Pinstripes: Who said power dressing had to be boring? Take traditional menswear materials and details and transform them into one fab, femme ensemble.
19. Double Trouble: Cold weather prints and patterns get a trend-right remix when you coordinate preppy accessories with the coat everyone has on standby — the moto. Bring on light washed denim and mid-heel steppers for street style perfection.
eighties and nineties Style
Throwback style isn’t going anywhere, so dig up those sultry slip dresses, tulle skirts and distressed denim stat. Keep the look current via sleek leather leggings and grungy layers that add just the right amount of edge.
20. Nighttime Dresses for Day: Remember those silky slip dresses we couldn’t get enough of this fall? Layer them over thin t-necks and crews to keep you warm during cooler months.
21. Sleek Streetwear: We can’t get enough of this utility jacket-meets-puffer-meets-moto hybrid. Embrace all the iconic ’90s styles in one show-stopping look.
22. Tulle Time: ’80s era tulle skirts get a dose of cool-girl flair thanks to leather peplums and sky-high platform sneeks. It’s a lot of look, but she pulls it off.
23. Effortless Edge: Just when you thought razor-cut jeans had come and gone, along comes this look that combines basic pieces into one street-style-approved look. Slay.
24. Grunge Meets Glam: Yes, please. The easiest way to upgrade your forgotten grunge pieces is to anchor them with sophisticated accessories and streamlined layers.
25. Camo Cool: You heard it here first — camo is having a major moment. Your everyday army jacket is about to become a statement piece all its own starting now and carrying all the way through fall.
26. Fishnets and Fur: Chunky jackets with nubby details get an It-girl makeover when you sneak in some fishnets and top it all off with a wear-anywhere beanie. Bonus points if your head gear boasts your fave band.
27. Rocker Chic: Rock ‘n’ roll style never looked so chic. The key to this ensemble? Expertly layered basics that throw studs, animal prints and a satin bomber into the equation.
Want more Fashion Week goodness? Follow us on Pinterest to get the skinny on all the style trends.
Photography via Brittany Griffin