Ever wonder who decides what color is “the new black?” Well, it’s likely a multi-pronged effort between Pantone and Anna Wintour, and we just got a heads up from the former. Each year, Pantone assembles their color autumn trend forecast to predict the must-have colors of the season. The fall 2014 colors have been released, so you can officially start stocking your closet with these beautiful shades of blues, lavenders and soft metallics.
To keep us well-dressed, Elle put together a gorgeously illustrated roundup of Pantone fashion inspiration (below, along with our favorite picks!) for those of us looking to stay on trend. See you at the mall, y’all.
1. Meteora Necklace ($68): Statement necklaces just won’t quit, and one look at this stone beauty and we see why they are sticking around again this season. This bright blue treasure will go with just about anything!
2. Annabel Ingall Jojo Crossbody Bag ($320): A shock of lilac purple in the fall? It’s happening. To ensure this look doesn’t get too Easter-y, let’s do it with a stunning leather purse that we’d like to buy in every color of the rainbow.
3. Vegan Leather Moto Jacket ($43): Pantone’s muted cognac is so chic that no one will ever guess that this cool moto jacket is from Forever 21!
4. Vince Camuto Drape Front Blouse ($70): We love the versatility of a quality garment and classic color like this. This breezy, wine-tinted tank pairs just as perfectly with a blazer and heels on Mondays as it does with some distressed jeans and clogs on Saturdays.
5. Baroque Burnout Dress in Royal Blue ($28): This sexy, velvet burnout frock looks high fashion from every angle except the price tag. New date night dress, perhaps?
6. Rachel Zoe ‘Mercer’ Dress ($375): The long sleeves and tights-friendly shape of this bright autumnal dress is exactly what the season ordered. Swap the model’s strappy summer pumps for ankle boots and you’re in business.
7. Hops + Lollipops Flats ($35): Hate to break it to Pantone, but this mauve mist color of theirs is not the most wearable color for most women. To avoid a potential wash out, keep the mauve away from your face and use it to accessorize instead. These cute faux suede retro kicks are both unexpected and awesome.
8. Tahari Izzy Asymmetrical Wool Coat ($400): Aluminum is our favorite neutral in the Pantone bunch. Throw this beige-taupe-gray hybrid on a classic wool coat and you’ve got a transitional piece to take you from brisk fall winds to blustery winter snowflakes.
9. ASOS Plaid Check Scarf ($31): Nothing says fall like a classic plaid scarf that’s warm enough for all the necks in the land.
10. Draped Dress ($30): Effortless and elegant (and affordable!), you will want to live in this comfy jersey dress all season. Just make sure not to wear it on the same day as we are… because, how embarrassing?
Any predictions on how you’ll incorporate these colors into your signature fall look? Let us know in the comments!