Get excited! The 4th of July is coming up and you know what that means?! Another epic Brit + Co 4th of July cake! Our first year may have been the best, with our Ombre Independence Day Cake gracing the cover of InStyle’s entertaining section. But last year’s ombre funfetti cake wasn’t too shabby either. Will this year’s be even better? Keep reading to find out!
– 2 boxes Miss Jones all-natural vanilla cake mix
– 3 tubs Miss Jones all-natural vanilla frosting
– 6 eggs
– 2/3 cup oil
– 1 1/3 cup water
– red and blue gel food coloring
– red, white, and blue nonpareil sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Gather your ingredients and make cake mix according to package directions.
2. Divide cake mix evenly into 5 separate bowls. Tint with gel food coloring to create a red, white, and blue ombre effect.
3. Bake cakes according to package directions and let cool completely.
4. Cover each layer with a thick layer of frosting, then cover the entire cake in a thin layer of frosting. This thin layer is called the crumb coat and will seal in your crumbs. Place cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Remove cake from refrigerator and cover with a thick layer of frosting.
6. Immediately cover cake with sprinkles by pouring and gently patting cake with handfuls of sprinkles. It’s helpful to put the cake in a large plastic tub during this process to catch all of the sprinkles.
Let’s dive in!
Start by gathering all of your ingredients.
Make cake mix according to package directions.
Then divide batter evenly between 5 bowls. Tint with the gel food coloring to create a red, white, and blue ombre effect.
Bake cakes according to package directions and let cool completely.
Starting with the dark blue layer, cover with a thick layer of frosting.
Continue stacking layers and alternating with frosting.
Once you’re finished, cover the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This layer is called the crumb coat and it seals in all of the crumbs!
Remove cake from the refrigerator and cover with a thick layer of frosting.
Immediately cover cake with sprinkles by gently pouring and patting sprinkles all over the sides and top of the cake.
It seriously helps if you contain the sprinkles by placing the cake in a large plastic bin.
Once you’re done, it will look like this! Happy 4th of July!
Don’t forget to complete your party and cake with festive flag straws from Acme Party Co.
What are your favorite 4th of July recipes? Let us know in the comments section below!