12 Ways to Rock Ribbon in Your Hair
As the gift giving begins, out comes the spools upon spools of ribbon. It’s always fun to perfectly tie up a present, but we’ve got a use for the silky stuff that’s even better… put it in your hair! If you thought the days of ribbon wearing stopped once you graduated elementary school, you’re sorely mistaken, friend. The classy (not to mention cheap) hair accessory can spice up a whole bunch of hairstyles in a totally grown up kind of way. Whether you need something to wear to a holiday party or you’re just looking to spice up your daily ‘do, here are 12 ways to use ribbon in your hair.
1. Beautified Halo Braid: The halo braid is gorgeous on its own, but twist in a gold ribbon throughout the style and it’s sure to be a hit. This isn’t the easiest style to master, but once you get it down your braiding options are endless. (via Once Wed)
2. Ribbon Headband: Sure, you could just cut a long strand of ribbon and tie it around your head, but let’s be honest: ribbon slips easily and nobody wants to be fiddling with their hair all day. Here’s a secret tip to try to keep that ribbon in place: glue a strand of ribbon to a basic plastic headband for more support and simply tie it together at the bottom. (via Missy Sue)
3. Ribboned French Braid: Full disclosure: this tutorial is in Russian, but you’ll be able to pick up how they create this unique look just by watching. Plus, if you learn a little bit of Russian along the way, that never hurts. (via YouTube)
5. Bow Tied High Pony: If you want to take the previous hairstyle up a notch, upgrade from half up to fully up and a mini bow to a giant bow. If you try this look, make sure to keep the ribbon tails long and flowing for a whimsical touch. (via Glam Meets Glam)
6. Ballerina Bun: Leave it to our favorite gal Lauren Conrad to turn a basic bun into a showstopper. Gather up your hair and twist into a bun just like you normally would, then form a strand of ribbon into a bow and it pin to the side of the bun. (via The Beauty Department)
7. Lace Pony: Dress that tail up with a bit of lace to achieve this antique look. Keep it romantic with lace or swap it out for a sparkly ribbon if you’re in need of some extra holiday spirit. (via Bridal Musings)
8. Twisted Top Knot: This vlogger takes us through a whopping six different ways to use ribbon in your hair, but our favorite is the top knotted bun. She pretty much uses the same technique here as the side pony pictured above, except instead of keeping it down she twists and pins it up into a bun. (via YouTube)
9. Twisted Tale: If you’re into the braided crown but can’t quite get the hang of it, this side pony interweaves the ribbon similarly, but with a twist rather than a braid. Consider this a simplified or starter version of the wrap-around hairstyle. (via Refinery29)
10. Curled Ribbon: For a voluminous, tousled version of the classic, half-up, half-down look pictured above try this style that first curls the whole head, then turns the pulled up section into a fishtail. To help the ribbon blend in to this curled ‘do, simply curl the ribbon! (via Irrelephant)
11. Rainbow Fishtail: Transform a basic fishtail into a color explosion. This tutorial uses yarn in the braid, but this could easily be replaced with thin strands of ribbon for a shiny, fancier look. (via A Beautiful Mess)
12. Dutch Braided Headband: Take that ribbon headband one step further and actually braid it into the front of your head. If you have bangs that you don’t want to worry about, here’s a great way to get rid of them for the evening. (via Missy Sue)
Would you try any of these styles? Share a snap of how you wear ribbon in your hair with us on Twitter.