There’s always a bit of curiosity and, honestly, a bit of secrecy around the products and routines people use to keep their skin healthy from the inside out. What’s even more intriguing is when you can get a peek into the skincare secrets of industry experts. This series will lift the veil on the products, tips and hacks behind people who are majorly *skinspirational*.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve never met a synchronized swimmer in my life — until recently ;) The profession has an air of mystery to it. How do these people look so flawless submerged in water? How do they keep their skin healthy when it’s subjected to sun and a chemical-filled pool on the reg?
I imagined these wondrous water people had super extensive skincare routines to keep their skin in tip-top shape, but then I got the scoop from Gina Griego, a former synchronized swimmer who spent years figuring out how to stay flawless while killing it in the pool. What she told me was not what I expected; her routine is super legit and straight-up simple (and it clearly works — look how gorgeous this gal is!). Here’s a synchronized swimmer’s exact skincare routine.
WHAT IS A SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER’S SKINCARE ROUTINE?
1. Foaming Face Wash: “The first step in my skincare routine is to wash my face with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser ($13). I love this stuff because it’s been the only cleanser that has made a difference in my complexion. My skin is oily and I’ve found this product helps a lot.”
2. Treatment Gel: “After I cleanse, I add just a pea-sized portion of DDF Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 5% Acne Treatment ($36). This stuff definitely helps keep my face clear, but I actually think being in the water helps out my skin too. The chlorine water clears some of my breakouts!”
3. Gentle Moisturizer: “My third and final morning skincare step is to moisturize with CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM ($15).”
4. Nighttime Face Wash: “At the end of the day, I wash my face again with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser ($13).”
5. Medicated Treatment: “I am prone to breakouts, so I apply Aczone Gel 7.5% (by prescription only) to my skin. I only use a tiny amount!”
6. Extra Hydration: “Every other night, I will use my CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM ($15) to prevent my skin from getting dry and flaky. I’ve tried a lot of regimens that have constantly made my face dry, flaky and red, or made me break out more. This lotion is super gentle and helps me keep my face nice and moisturized when the water would really dry it out.”
Follow us on Pinterest for more skincare inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.