10 Spring 2017 Trends to Try According to Your New Year’s Resolutions
The new year is the perfect time to start afresh, whether you’re looking to rev up your fitness routine or inject new life into your wardrobe. In regards to the latter, we’ve been thinking long and hard about how to help you nail those 2017 style resolutions, and the Spring/Summer ’17 collections seemed like the ideal place to gather some sartorial inspo. Vibrant color, look-at-me prints and working-girl pinstripes are just a few of next season’s fashion trends that will help you get 2017 started off right (that and these nine street style trends). Ready your notebook and pen — you’re going to want to write these Insta-worthy tips down.
1. Racking up the stamps in your passport: If indulging your sense of wanderlust is high on your priority list this year, listen up! You’re going to need a wardrobe to go along with your bold ambitions. Take a note from Cavalli (above), Chloé and Loewe when investing in new duds over the next couple of seasons, filling your closet with flowy frocks, patchwork details and dreamy prints. And don’t forget to snag a sweet fashion find on each trip to give your getups a touch of worldly flair. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
2. Going au Naturel: Whether you plan on getting outdoors more or detoxing your beauty routine, paying tribute to Mother Earth is one of your top 2017 to-dos. Look to an earthy color palette and big, bold, graphic florals as seen at Dolce & Gabbana (shown here), Gucci and Balenciaga to keep you feeling inspired all year long. (Photo via Victor Virgile/Getty)
3. Working on Your Fitness: Where can you be found in 2017? At the gym and in the studio crushing those fitness goals. #soulcyclesquadgoals Making a new habit stick, however, is no easy feat, which is why we’ll be looking to the sporty chic ensembles that dominated fashion week (with our favorites coming straight off the Maison Margiela catwalk) to get us excited to hit up that 6am spin class. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
4. Landing That Promotion: Big girlboss ambitions for the upcoming year? We’ve got just the thing to help you keep the dream alive: Wall Street-inspired pinstripes. The down-to-business trend spotted at Mulberry (as well as DKNY, Rag & Bone, Self-Portrait and Tory Burch) is straight-up classic and guaranteed to earn you a few extra bonus points with your on-the-job crew, especially when paired with cutting edge silhouettes and souped-up accessories. Ya dig? (Photo via Catwalking/Getty)
5. Keeping Things Low-Key: 2016 was a rough year — that’s for sure — but this year you’re focusing on keeping the good vibes coming all year long. First things first, ditching fussy fashion to the curb for good. Say sayonara to stilettos and restrictive duds that make you uncomfortable and cramp your style, and embrace laid-back essentials like cozy robes (might we suggest this Lacoste stunner above?), relaxed silhouettes and soft, natural fabrics. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
6. Wear More Color: This is it — the year you finally take the plunge and give color a try. (Life’s too short to simply stick to shades of black, white and gray, right?) You couldn’t have picked a better time, because the Spring/Summer ’17 runways were awash in vibrant shades of lemon yellow and Barbie pink. You’re right on cue, girl. Start small by working a few bold and bright accessories into your ensemble, be it a cherry red crossbody bag or a handful of playful pins. Once you’re feeling comfortable, graduate to statement outerwear or an ethereal midi dress a la Creatures of Comfort for max perfection. (Photo via Arun Nevader/Getty)
7. Flaunt What You’ve Got. In the words of Demi Lovato, “What’s wrong with being confident?” Show off that stunning bod this year by rocking sultry sheer pieces by day or after dark. While this Christopher Kane look is seriously bold (and definitely not nine-to-five approved), a sheer top or a dress with look-at-me panels serve up just the right amount of wow-factor without going over the top. (Photo via Catwalking/Getty)
8. Learning from the Past: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. While this certainly applied to ’60s and ’70s-inspired threads, the ’80s are another story entirely. But Saint Laurent proved that style from the post-disco decade isn’t something to scoff at with the introduction of this swoon-inducing gilded dress. Proenza Schouler, Christopher Kane and Rodarte further emphasized the point with luxe lamé creations and throwback designs laced with RN appeal. Ready to take your look to the next level? Simply look to the past. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
9. Paring Down: You’ve always been up for test driving the latest trend, but this year you’re ready to take a step away from high-impact styles and flashy fashion — at least temporarily. What could be more low-key than military-inspired style? Earthy shades of khaki will keep your getup feeling grounded, while sharp tailoring and army-approved accoutrements provide that little bit of extra oomph that you crave. Don’t believe us? Take this snap from the Mulberry Spring/Summer ’17 show as proof. (Photo via Catwalking/Getty)
10. Go Bold: Loud prints and mismatched styling aren’t exactly for the faint of heart, but if fierce is the direction in which you’re hoping to take both your style and your attitude in 2017, they’re certainly the way to go. The first place to look for #OOTD inspo? The Proenza Schouler runway, where trippy stripes, vibrant color and exotic prints reigned supreme. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!