If you’ve ever stepped out in inclement weather wearing the wrong footwear — and walked around with soaked feet for the rest of the day — you know just how important a pair of waterproof shoes is. Tall rubber wellies, or galoshes as your grandma may have called them, have been the rainwear standard since seemingly forever. But what if there was a more stylish option available? Spoiler alert: There is. Well, several actually. These days you have your pick of sleek, non-bulky ankle booties in a variety of colors, waterproof sneakers, and even rubber loafers. Ahead, nine alternatives to the classic boot, guaranteed not to rain on your style parade.
1. Lauren Ralph Lauren Tally ($50): Yes, leopard is basically a neutral. Pair thesewild wonders with anything from denim to leather to floral andyou’ll see what we mean. Rain, rain, maybe don’t go away?
2. Hunter Original Waterproof Rubber Penny Loafer ($135): Preppy and puddle ready? That’ll be a yes from us, please and thank you.
4. Aquatalia Push Waterproof Patent Sneaker ($200): A slick platform in winter white keeps you above water and counts as one of your trendy cold-weather buys. Done and done.
5. Ganni Callie Patent-Leather Ankle Boots ($324): In case you missed it, the red boot is this season’s MVP. Add a water-resistant fabric like patent into the mix and you’ve got yourself some hall of fame footwear.
6. Jeffrey Campbell Hurricane Rain Booties ($60): Sleek black bootie that goes with every outfit? Check. Protection from puddles and snow drifts? Double check.
7. Blondo Gwen Waterproof ($40): Rainy day style never looked so sporty. These kicks are made with seam-sealed Aquaprotect® waterproof construction, so you can keep that athleisure vibe going regardless of the forecast.
8. Topshop Mighty Ankle Boots ($160): Gone are the days of the bulky rainboot. A set of mod patent booties in burgundy will keep you dry and stylish.
9. Coach Moto Rain Bootie ($195): Edgy peeps, rejoice! You don’t have to destroy your favorite moto boots in the rain and snow — just switch them out for this waterproof pair.
Want more style advice? Follow us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.