If you’ve ever stepped out in inclement weather wearing the wrong footwear — and walked around with soaked feet for the rest of the day — you know just how important a pair of waterproof shoes is. Tall rubber wellies, or galoshes as your grandma may have called them, have been the rainwear standard since seemingly forever. But what if there was a more stylish option available? Spoiler alert: There is. Well, several actually. These days you have your pick of sleek, non-bulky ankle booties in a variety of colors, waterproof sneakers, and even rubber loafers. Ahead, nine alternatives to the classic boot, guaranteed not to rain on your style parade.
1. Lauren Ralph Lauren Tally ($50): Yes, leopard is basically a neutral. Pair these wild wonders with anything from denim to leather to floral and you’ll see what we mean. Rain, rain, maybe don’t go away?
2. Hunter Original Waterproof Rubber Penny Loafer ($135): Preppy and puddle ready? That’ll be a yes from us, please and thank you.
4. Aquatalia Push Waterproof Patent Sneaker ($200): A slick platform in winter white keeps you above water and counts as one of your trendy cold-weather buys. Done and done.
5. Ganni Callie Patent-Leather Ankle Boots ($324): In case you missed it, the red boot is this season’s MVP. Add a water-resistant fabric like patent into the mix and you’ve got yourself some hall of fame footwear.
6. Jeffrey Campbell Hurricane Rain Booties ($60): Sleek black bootie that goes with every outfit? Check. Protection from puddles and snow drifts? Double check.
7. Blondo Gwen Waterproof ($40): Rainy day style never looked so sporty. These kicks are made with seam-sealed Aquaprotect® waterproof construction, so you can keep that athleisure vibe going regardless of the forecast.
8. Topshop Mighty Ankle Boots ($160): Gone are the days of the bulky rainboot. A set of mod patent booties in burgundy will keep you dry and stylish.
9. Coach Moto Rain Bootie ($195): Edgy peeps, rejoice! You don’t have to destroy your favorite moto boots in the rain and snow — just switch them out for this waterproof pair.
Want more style advice? Follow us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.