5 Date Night Outfit Tips We Learned from Mindy Kaling
Dressing the part for Valentine’s Day (or any date night, really, but let’s get into the spirit of the season) is all about bright colors, flirty silhouettes and a playful sense of style. For those reasons, we’ve anointed Mindy Kaling the sartorial saint of the romantic holiday. The Mindy Project star has quickly become a fashion icon for her affinity for vibrant hues and flattering, figure-hugging fits both on and off screen, a style signature that helps convey that fashion, often taken far too seriously, can be extremely fun. It’s also one that happens to be perfectly fitting for February 14. So, to prep for the year’s biggest date night (gal-pal or otherwise), we’re raiding Mindy’s virtual closet, as seen on her #OOTD-filled Instagram feed. Below, check out five Mindy-approved ways to nail the perfect Valentine’s Day outfit.
1. Suit Up: Ditch the dress altogether for your new favorite going-out layer: your blazer. Whether you have one that’s sparkling gold like Mindy’s or not, style it with tailored trousers and a flowy blouse to play up the menswear inspiration, but keep it flirty with pumps, big curls and a bright lip.
2. Make All-Pink Look Modern: All-red is so predictable, so pass it up for the holiday’s second most popular color: pink. Keep the girly hue feeling fashion-forward by looking for a dress with modern details like Mindy’s plunging neckline, and pair it with playful accessories like metallic pumps and larger-than-life drop earrings.
3. Add a Major Pop of V-Day Color: Even if you’re anti-all-pink-everything, a pop of Valentine’s Day color can take your outfit a very long way. Mindy’s black patterned midi dress was just asking for the jolt delivered by these hot pink booties.
4. Let Frilly Designs Pull Double Duty: Our favorite kind of sartorial frills are those that can add extra “oohs” to the reveal while also flattering your figure, like the hourglass-shaped paneling on Mindy’s bodycon dress, peplum hems and tulle-lined skirts.
5. Switch Out Your LBD for Your LWD: This isn’t just any other date night, so switch out the tried-and-true LBD for something that feels more special. like your little white dress. Pair with colorful heels and tons of stacking rings to keep the look from feeling too bridal.
Which celebs do you turn to for styling advice? Tell us which stars you think are the most fashionable on Instagram in the comments below.
(Featured photo via Valerie Macon/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)