Dressing the part for Valentine’s Day (or any date night, really, but let’s get into the spirit of the season) is all about bright colors, flirty silhouettes and a playful sense of style. For those reasons, we’ve anointed Mindy Kaling the sartorial saint of the romantic holiday. The Mindy Project star has quickly become a fashion icon for her affinity for vibrant hues and flattering, figure-hugging fits both on and off screen, a style signature that helps convey that fashion, often taken far too seriously, can be extremely fun. It’s also one that happens to be perfectly fitting for February 14. So, to prep for the year’s biggest date night (gal-pal or otherwise), we’re raiding Mindy’s virtual closet, as seen on her #OOTD-filled Instagram feed. Below, check out five Mindy-approved ways to nail the perfect Valentine’s Day outfit.
1. Suit Up: Ditch the dress altogether for your new favorite going-out layer: your blazer. Whether you have one that’s sparkling gold like Mindy’s or not, style it with tailored trousers and a flowy blouse to play up the menswear inspiration, but keep it flirty with pumps, big curls and a bright lip.
2. Make All-Pink Look Modern: All-red is so predictable, so pass it up for the holiday’s second most popular color: pink. Keep the girly hue feeling fashion-forward by looking for a dress with modern details like Mindy’s plunging neckline, and pair it with playful accessories like metallic pumps and larger-than-life drop earrings.
3. Add a Major Pop of V-Day Color: Even if you’re anti-all-pink-everything, a pop of Valentine’s Day color can take your outfit a very long way. Mindy’s black patterned midi dress was just asking for the jolt delivered by these hot pink booties.
4. Let Frilly Designs Pull Double Duty: Our favorite kind of sartorial frills are those that can add extra “oohs” to the reveal while also flattering your figure, like the hourglass-shaped paneling on Mindy’s bodycon dress, peplum hems and tulle-lined skirts.
5. Switch Out Your LBD for Your LWD: This isn’t just any other date night, so switch out the tried-and-true LBD for something that feels more special. like your little white dress. Pair with colorful heels and tons of stacking rings to keep the look from feeling too bridal.
Which celebs do you turn to for styling advice? Tell us which stars you think are the most fashionable on Instagram in the comments below.
(Featured photo via Valerie Macon/Getty)