Valentine’s Day isn’t too far off, and what sweeter way to celebrate than with adorable cookies paired with puns. If you’ve never iced sugar cookies before, don’t worry — you still have a few weeks to practice! These cheeky burgers will definitely be worth the effort, and put a smile on anyone’s face. Now what are you waiting for? Lettuce get started!
- your favorite sugar cookie recipe
- royal icing in a variety of colors
- burger cookie cutter
- speech bubble cookie cutter
- black edible marker
1. Make sugar cookies following the instructions from your chosen recipe, then cut into burger and speech bubble shapes. Bake and leave to cool completely before decorating.
2. Dye royal icing into a variety of colors and transfer into piping bags, then cut a small hole at the end of each bag. I used black, dark brown, light brown, nude, yellow, red and green. The green icing will need to be a thicker consistency than the others, to create the texture of the lettuce.
3. Begin decorating! Pipe on the top and bottom buns, then leave to dry for at least 15 minutes (or when the outer layer has dried). Continue with the double layer of meat, followed by the tomatoes/sauce. Add the sesame seeds and facial expressions while the other elements are drying; then the lettuce and cheese. Layer the cheese over the meat so it appears to be “melting,” and use a diagonal squiggly motion to pipe on the lettuce.
4. For the speech bubbles, I used white fondant due to the fast drying time. Feel free to use white royal icing, but depending on the size of your cookies, they may take over 12 hours to dry completely. Using a black edible marker, write on some cute Valentine’s day/burger related puns!
5. Leave to dry before packaging. Dependent on how large the cookies are, in addition to weather conditions, these can take up to a day to dry completely.
Begin with the top and bottom buns, then set aside until the top coat is dry. Continue with the double layer of meat, followed by the tomatoes/sauce. Add the sesame seeds and facial expressions while the other elements are drying; then finish off with the lettuce and cheese. Use a diagonal squiggly motion to pipe on the lettuce.
Cover the speech bubbles in either white fondant or royal icing. Use a black edible marker to write on some cute Valentine’s Day/burger-related puns!
And that’s it! How cute are they?