This Bold + Bright Wisconsin Wedding Is All Kinds of Modern-Chic
When Hannah and Yone set out to plan their dream wedding, their main goal was capturing the love and energy they share as a couple. Pondering their unexpected wedding colors, modern wedding menu and chic DIY details, these two wanted to create the most sacred and romantic yet totally chic and energetic celebration of their lives together. So when it came to the specifics for planning their special day, utilizing Hannah’s graphic design skills and booking the modern venue Overture Center for the Arts were without a doubt some of the easiest decisions they made. With the help of their loved ones and some major selfie fun, their big day ended up being just what they dreamed of: a small, intimate day that displayed their love for each other and for their family and friends. Scroll on for all the deets below.
1. DIY Invitations. Hannah is a graphic designer, so of course she put her talent to work and designed their entire invitation suite. The couple wanted their wedding to be fun and playful, a vibe which is mirrored in their super modern invitations.
2. Blue Accents + Herb-acious Boutonnieres. Who said the “something blue” is only for the bride? Yone added a touch of blue to his outfit with a bright tie and handkerchief. The bright boutonnieres were created by KP Designs, and made by bundling together different herbs with a couple of ranunculus and then wrapping up the stems with floral tape. So. chic.
3. Sparkly Details. To include a touch of glam in her minimalist look, the bride’s gown was delicately adorned with a gorgeous sparkling belt that totally elevated the look. To add some glam yourself, you don’t have to run to the store and buy something new. Take a look in your closet and grab a cute pair of sparkly flats or heels that you’re already comfortable in. Or, if your new shoes are half as cute as these gem-filled flats, there’s no doubt that you’ll be able to reuse them for years to come.
4. Whimsical All-White Bouquet. Wedding florals come in all shapes, sizes and colors, but nothing is quite as coveted as a classic all-white bouquet. Hannah kept her florals to a minimum with a simple color palette and an elegant arrangement to match their modern theme. We love this minimalist combo of blooming whites and tiny hints of greens, but feel free to add a bit more greenery to your own, for a more boho vibe.
5. Heartfelt Exchange. When Hannah mentioned that she was blessed to have been given her grandmother’s wedding band to use as her own, there was not a dry eye in the house. Her uncle, who officiated the wedding, wears her grandfather’s wedding band on his finger every day. “My grandmother and I are incredibly close, so this was the honor of a lifetime,” Hannah said. “There was something so special and emotional about Yone promising me a lifetime of love and partnership with a ring that my grandmother wore for 65 years while its partner (my grandfather’s ring) was overseeing the promise.”
6. Modern Location. Hannah and Yone shared the joy and love of their big day at a chic and minimalist venue. The sleek modern vibe, bright white architecture and floor-to-ceiling windows truly set it apart and gave a sophisticated vibe without being over-the-top. As Hannah puts it, “It was a feeling of true community and love.” With such pretty architecture, all that’s needed for decor are effortless DIY ceremony aisle pieces like the ones the couple used, with candles and vases you can buy at your local craft store.
7. Polaroid Station. The seating card station was equipped with a Polaroid camera, for guests to find their name and replace the place card with a picture. Not only did friends and family enjoy taking selfies, but the couple captured a candid moment of each guest that they’ll have forever. Pure genius!
8. Out-of-the-Box Guestbook. Instead of a traditional guestbook, Hannah and Yone had a calendar and asked their guests to sign their name on their birthdays, which they will definitely use later on to send friends and family cards on their special day. If you’re digging this idea, jazz up your calendar by adding pictures of you and your sweetie (or even family and friends!) for a trip down memory lane every time you turn the page.
9. Bright + Modern Table Decor. If you liked the accent pieces on the groomsmen, you’re going to LOVE the super colorful centerpieces and sequined tablecloths here. Thanks to the gorgeous styling by Canvas Weddings, the couple’s table decor was super unique and a brilliant reflection of their personalities. And because Hannah and Yone were so grateful to everyone who shared their special day with them, the couple added a thank you card — designed by Hannah, nonetheless — to show their appreciation. So sweet!
10. Contemporary Cuisine. And to keep the vibe of the entire day ultra fresh with a modern twist, they opted for seasonal mini food that was styled to perfection. The clean vibe that Fresco Madison created with this fare totally reflected the season and the setting Hannah and Yone dreamed of. Plus, staying local and seasonal allowed their guests to get a taste of the area without straying from the minimal theme.
Undoubtedly, this wedding was filled with lots of sweet details, but as Hannah and Yone put it, “It’s important to enjoy EVERY minute and don’t stress about the small details. Smile, laugh and move on, because the most important part of the day is marrying your soulmate and savoring your special day.” Three cheers to that, and congrats to the happy couple!
Venue: Overture Center for the Arts
Wedding Planner: Canvas Weddings
Cake Designer: Cupcakes-A-Go-Go
Design and Decor: Events Essentials
Caterer: Fresco Madison
Hair and Makeup: HoneyComb Salon Collective
Floral Designer: KP Designs
Follow us on Pinterest for more beautiful + creative wedding inspo.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)