11 Quick Knits for Holiday Gifts (+ How to Get a FREE Holiday Pattern!)
Whether you’re a brand new knitter or a seasoned stitcher, nothing says lovin’ like taking the time to make something special for your favorite people. Alas though, between holiday festivities and the side hustle to support them, time isn’t always on our side. Not to worry, though. There’s still plenty of time to get Christmas (or Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Years) crafty!
Psst! Keep scrolling to find out how you can get a free holiday pattern!
Here are 9 knitting project ideas for a D.I.Yuletide!
1. Chunky Scarf: Chunky scarves and rib stitches are the perfect combos for fast, but cool. I love the Happy Trails Scarf by Amy Small of Knit Collage. Knit simply on big ol’ needles and using a series of slipped and knit stitches, and you’ll whip this beauty up in a couple of evenings of TV watching!
2. Headband: A cozy headband is a great way to learn how to knit your first cable and keep your ears warm. Seedy knits up quickly in seed rib stitch, which means you’ll be able to make them for all of your gal (and mini gal) pals!
3. Triangle Scarf: Garter stitch (that means only the knit stitch!) and beautifully dyed Koigu yarn work together to create the Painter’s Palette Triangle Scarf. Make it larger as a triangle shawl, or knit it as is and wear it bandit style!
4. Wrist Warmers: Wristers make great gifters! (Sorry for that.) These Born to Be Warm wrist warmers by Ewe Ewe Yarns are both classic and cool. They’re perfect for the musician or social media lover in your life, because fingerless means the room to play guitar and swipe left or right. Oh, and bonus, if you’re new to knitting, you don’t have to worry about any pesky thumb shaping!
5. Fold-Over Clutch: Do you dream of Multi-Craftual Christmas? I know I do! Brett Bara’s Leather & Wool Fold-Over Clutch combines knitting and sewing. The yarn portion can be made in less than two hours, and the leather portion is just simple straight sewing. Get the instructions or nab a whole kit here!
6. Waffle Stitch Hat: Are you waffling over whether or not you have the time to knit a gift? Well, ponder no more! This waffle stitch hat is knit on Size 36 needles and with HiKoo Super-Quick Alpaca yarn. It’s worked flat, then seamed up the back — and get this: It can be made in about an hour and a half. *high-five!*
7. Cowl Scarf: Got scarf commitment issues? Then a cowl project is right for you! The Bargello Cowl plays with pattern and color, while also keeping it quick on size 13 needles. Use my signature mid-century modern colors, or create your own scheme. Either way, this cowl is super cute-cool.
8. Aster Stitch Scarf: Go graphic this season with the Aster Stitch Scarf. Knit in Loopy Mango’s signature, super chunky yarn, this scarf looks difficult but is created using an easy, four-row pattern.
9. Stocking: Holiday stockings make for an heirloom-worthy gift. Go modern with a non-traditional palette in Valley Yarns Superwash Super Bulky yarn (colors by yours truly). The Merry Knitmas Stockingcombines a simple, but interesting stitch pattern with striking stripes. It can be made in an evening but will last a lifetime. That, my friends, is a crafty win-win!
Psst… don’t know how to knit, but want to try? Take my Intro to Knitting Class where I’ll teach you everything you need to know to make a ribbed beanie and an infinity scarf. PLUS, if you sign up now, get a bonus pattern for the holidays: the Santa Sloucher hat.
Happy handmade holidays! Share photos of your knitting projects with us by using the hashtag #bcclasses on Instagram.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)