11 Rad Geek Gifts for Everyone on Your List
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. And for all you geeky, sci-fi loving people, that means plenty of new gadgets and movie and TV show-inspired goodies are about to fill up your stocking and pile up under the tree. Whether you’re a Wookie lover or know the entire Vulcan history, the geek gifts below will satisfy your outer space-loving heart. And if you’re more into the ’80s throwback games and movies, there’s a little ghostbusting and arcade game action for ya. Scroll on for all the geeky gifts you won’t want to miss out on this year.
1. Urban Outfitters Star Wars R2D2 Mug ($24): Let your favorite OG droid get you fueled every a.m. with this mug. The force will definitely be strong with you after a few of these.
2. Urban Outfitters World’s Smallest Walkie Talkie Set ($15): Communicate the old fashioned way with these tiny walkies. Use Morse Code or your own secret language with your bestie.
3. Urban Outfitters Ghostbusters Miniature Proton Replica ($13): There’s nothing like a mini proton pack to act out all your tiny ghostbusting adventures.
4. Urban Outfitters Mini Talking Chewie Plush Toy ($26): Learn how to speak Wookie with this adorable mini Chewbacca. Just give ’em a little squeeze and he’ll be winning your heart in no time.
5. Pintrill Live Long Hand Pin in Gold ($12): Let Spock live on (and prosper) in pin form. You can add this gilded Trekkie flare to your denim jacket or backpack for some geeky-chic style.
6. Cheerson CX-10 Mini Drone ($17): If you don’t already have a mini drone, you are not living up to your true geeky potential. Fly this bad boy around on Christmas morning for lots of laughs.
7. Urban Outfitters Handheld Pac-Man Arcade Game ($26): Throwback arcade game in miniature form? Yes, please! Get ready to eat *all* the ghosts for hours — just like old times.
8. Super Mario Brothers Checkers/Tic Tac Toe Combo ($16): Bring your Nintendo obsession to the next gamer level with a board game inspired by the epic duo Mario and Luigi. There will be plenty of hops to go around.
9. Urban Outfitters Star Trek Tee ($28): Rock this tee to take your Trekkie status into warp drive. Wear it with the Live Long and Prosper pin above for the ultimate binge session. Or just any old Saturday.
10. Urban Outfitters Classic Electronic Basketball Game ($32): Who needs a Gameboy when you can play this electronic basketball game for hours on end? It’s nothin’ but net for you.
11. Target Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet ($9): Display this on your mantle year round or flaunt it next Halloween. It’s an affordable (and safe) way to steer toward the dark side.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Photography: Tory Putnam
Photo Styling: Katie Bond
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.