There are so many amazing flavors in the fall. We love preparing dishes chock full of pumpkin and apple goodness. But an autumn staple that often gets overlooked are squash. Though they’re great in the background, we’re bringing them to the forefront with 12 squash-centric dishes to get your palates in the seasonal mood.
1. Chickpea Squash Hummus: Hummus is always one of our go-to snacks, and this twist on the classic adds delicata squash to help ring in autumn, deliciously. (Recipe and photo: Homemade Levity)
2. Chipotle Butternut Squash Tostadas: Just spicy enough, these tostadas feature a few of our favorite things: butternut squash, black beans, and goat cheese… Yum! (Recipe and photo: Naturally Ella)
3. Butternut Squash and Apple Soup: What better way to get cozy on a cool, fall night than to cuddle up with a bowl of warm butternut squash and apple soup? (Recipe and photo: Bijouxs)
4. Honey Jalepeno Roasted Acorn Squash: The spicy and sweet combo makes these acorn squash a sure hit at any autumnal gathering. (Recipe and photo: Naturally Ella)
5. Garlic and Butternut Squash Pizza: Speaking of “sure hits,” you can’t go wrong with pizza. This version is flavorful and enticing and perfect for a night in with the family and any unexpected foodie guests. (Recipe and photo: The Endless Meal)
6. Squash Stuffed with Cherry Apple Almond Couscous: Festive squash stuffed with an incredible fall-inspired couscous? Count us in. (Recipe and photo: 86 Lemons)
7. Butternut Squash Pie Bars: As much as we love pumpkin pie (which is a lot), we love this original take on an autumnal pie. (Recipe and photo: Molly Alice Nests)
8. Lemon Poppyseed and Squash Muffins: Another sweet take on butternut squash, these citrus- and squash-flavored muffins will brighten up your morning. (Recipe and photo: Inspiring the Everyday)
9. Squash and Chickpea Patties with Grape-Avocado Salsa: These pitas are stuffed with all the flavor of falafel, butternut squash, and some incredibly delicious salsa. Perfect for a unique and yummy lunch break! (Recipe and photo: Cara’s Cravings)
10. Autumn Harvest Cupcakes: Featuring pumpkin and squash, these are the ultimate fall treats. (Recipe and photo: Never Homemaker)
11. Pattypan Squash with Eggs: With these egg-filled squash, your breakfast just got a whole lot more festive… and adorable. (Recipe and photo: Food Gal)
12. Squash Calzones: The great thing about calzones is the wide variety of ingredients that you can use. This fresh fall take will warm you right on up! (Recipe and photo: 5 & Spice)
Do you love squash as much as we do? What’s your favorite squash-centric recipe? Let us know in the comments below or over on Twitter.