Fairy lights aren’t just for the holidays: Whether they’re lighting up your Christmas tree, wedding or dorm rooms, these lights are a practical way to add a little twinkle. Since these decorative accents can do virtually no wrong, spruce up your space this holiday season with these modern luminaries. They’re so versatile, you’ll want to keep them on display long after the holiday season ends. Scroll on for more creative ideas on how to rock these shimmering twinkle lights!
1. Cloud Light: This fluffy cloud light is just what the doctor ordered for a gloomy winter day. Keep those *actual* stormy vibes away with this cheery cloud light you can DIY using fairy lights! (via Frenchy Fancy)
2. DIY Letter Marquee: Whether you plan on gifting it or keeping it for yourself, this marquee light is *the* DIY to make and show off all year round. To make, you’ll need some cardboard, fairy lights, scissors, tape and a power drill. (via Look What I Made)
3. DIY Twinkly Wall Christmas Tree: No worries if your small space can’t fit an actual Christmas tree. Opt for a twinkly fairy lights version instead! The tutorial calls for Command strips for easy appliance and just as easy removal. (via Tara Dennis)
4. DIY Autumn Leaf Fairy Lights: Light up your staircase or mantel with these bright autumn leaf lights. They’re festive enough to spruce up the home for the holidays but generic enough to keep up after the season ends. (via Wallflower Kitchen)
5. DIY Twinkle Light Canvas: If you’ve always wanted to try putting together a twinkle light canvas, you’re in luck. The how-to is so simple and the results so lovely, you’ll be wishing you tried it sooner! (via A Pumpkin and a Princess)
6. DIY Wood Veneer Paper Chain: Use wood veneer to create a paper chain, then add fairy lights to turn it into a modern garland. Display it on your mantel, across your doorway or from the stair rails for a charming holiday accent. (via 4 Men 1 Lady)
7. Photo Display: Mini clothespins are all you need to turn ordinary fairy lights into a pretty and practical photo display. Use Command strips or tacks to weave your lights back and forth across the designated wall space.
8. Glitter Fairy Christmas Lights Canvas: Brighten up your home with another take on the fairy lights canvas but with a touch of glam. Coat a canvas frame with glue and a generous dose of gold glitter to achieve this look. (via Noted List / Feel It Cool)
9. Urban Outfitters Extra-Long Firefly String Lights ($98): As pretty as they may be hung around the room, fairy lights are just as lovely when turned into statement wall art. Create whatever shape you want, display words in a pretty cursive font or recreate this intricate pyramid.
10. World Market Mason Jar Firefly 10 Bulb Battery Operated String Lights ($25): Turn any patio into a welcoming holiday hangout space with these battery-operated mason jar fairy lights. Though sold out online, these guys may still be available in a store near you!
11. Headboard Decor: Frame your headboard with a string of fairy lights to give your bedroom a warm and inviting glow. It’s the perfect finishing cozy accent to an already Christmas-inspired space.
12. Birdcage Lights: Turn your next visit to the flea market into a hunt for the perfect birdcage. Spray it down with a coat of fresh paint, let dry and add fairy lights for a delightfully whimsical accent. (via I Love My Apartment)
13. Christmas Star: Whether you buy or DIY a wooden Christmas star, make sure to wrap it with a string of lights. You’ll be left with the *perfect* centerpiece for your mantel display. (via Sheer Luxe)
14. Bed Curtain Lights: Combine fairy lights with bed curtains for a Tumblr-worthy scene. Opt for a sheer fabric or even a printed tapestry to create your own dreamscape. (via Decozilla)
15. Lights & Decor Mason Jar Fairy Lights ($95, set of 12): Light up your driveway this holiday season with twinkling lights encased in mason jars. Simple but elegant, these luminaries are battery-operated so you won’t have to worry about the hassle of outlets and plugs.
16. Restoration Hardware Gold Smoke Glass Hurricane ($51+): Illuminate your home with a shimmering golden glow when you add fairy lights to these sleek glass hurricanes. Display alone or in a group to play up the *whimsical* decor.
17. Modish Roost Twinkling Willow Wall Lights ($94): Autumn may have stolen the leaves from the trees but that’s no excuse for having unsightly bare branches. So make sure to brighten up your wall this holiday with this whimsical “Willow Wall” made of twinkling lights.
Which of these decor ideas would you love to try? Follow us on Pinterest for more creative ways to deck the halls!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.