7 Things to Know About Season 22 Bachelor Arie Luyendyk Jr.
Talk about a blast from the past! In an announcement on Good Morning America today, ABC surprised fans with their new Bachelor, season eight Bachelorette runner-up Arie Luyendyk Jr. If you’re new to Bachelor Nation, his name may be unfamiliar, but OG fans of the show will remember Luyendyk losing his chance at love with Emily Maynard to Jef Holm in 2012.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) September 7, 2017
At the time, there was speculation that Luyendyk would take up the mantle of the next Bachelor, but fellow contestant Sean Lowe ended up in that position instead. Now, it’s Luyendyk’s time to shine. Here are seven things you may not know (or may have forgotten!) about the season 22 star.
1. Auto racing is in his blood. Luyendyk’s dad, Arie Luyendyk Sr., is a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500, and Luyendyk himself qualified for the 2006 race and has also competed in the Indy Lights Series.
— Arie Luyendyk Jr. (@ariejr) September 24, 2016
3. He’s a realtor. When Luyendyk needed an off-season career, he looked into the world of real estate. Last year, he got his realtor’s license.
4. He’s dated multiple Bachelor Nation stars. After his on-screen romance with Maynard fizzled, Luyendyk dated two other former Bachelor contestants. In 2012, he hooked up with Courtney Robertson after she ended her engagement to Ben Flajnik, and in 2013, he very briefly dated Selma Alameri, a contestant from Lowe’s season.
5. He is one of the oldest Bachelor contestants in the show’s history. With his 36th birthday just around the corner, Luyendyk is one of the oldest leading men the show has ever had. (Season six Bachelor Byron Velvick was 40, and two-time Bachelor Brad Womack was 38 during his second stint.) “I’ll be 36 in a few weeks, so for me, it’s time,” Luyendyk said on GMA. “All my friends around me have kids and have grown up. I feel like I’m the last one of my friends to really take that last step.”
6. He speaks Dutch. Luyendyk, who was born in the Netherlands, spoke Dutch to his family during his hometown date with Maynard in 2012.
7. He’s superstitious. During his announcement on GMA, Luyendyk revealed that he was wearing the same suit he wore to his younger brother’s wedding, in the hopes that it would bring him good luck in finding his future bride.
Will you watch Luyendyk’s season of The Bachelor when it airs in January? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo via ABC/Craig Sjodin + ABC/Lou Rocco)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)