9 Styling Tips You Can Already Steal from 2017
Our wallets may not be able to keep up with the never-ending supply of new duds that hit stores every season, but a little fresh style inspo is definitely something they can get behind. Fierce street style and swoon-inducing next-season fashion trends during the spring/summer and fall/winter shows in New York, London, Milan and Paris keep us going for months, but to overcome a mid-season style rut (an event that is inevitable), we look to the resort and cruise collections to give ourselves a sartorial boost. So best believe we were taking notes when our favorite labels recently debuted their pre-fall 2017 offerings. Here, we’re sharing some of the best style lessons we took away from the catwalk, so you can step into the new year in style.
1. Puffer coats CAN look chic after dark. Say bonjour to the topper that’s about to change your approach to after-hours dressing, because if Chanel gives the puffer coat its seal of approval, you know you’ve got to get onboard. We’re totally down with this idea, given that our fanciest wool coats just can’t hack it when the temps start to dip real low. The trick to pulling off the trend? Go monochrome and opt for styles with architectural elements, like the bold collar above. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
2. Sequins DO have daytime appeal. Don’t let those sequins lay dormant after the holiday season has come and gone. Do like Erdem and give shimmery separates new life by teaming them with modest silhouettes, ladylike stockings and delicate florals that bring the glam factor down to daytime-appropriate levels. Even better? Team a sparkling midi skirt with a boyfriend blazer, graphic tee and modern drops for a scene-stealing bosslady-approved getup. (via Erdem)
3. Don’t let bad weather steal the spotlight. Time and effort went into pulling together that stellar ensemble, so don’t let a little drizzle prevent you from reaching style glory. Show off a wow-worthy #OOTD by swapping out your standard rain gear for a transparent trench in the fashion of Tory Burch that allows you to rack up the style points even when the forecast is looking grim. (via Tory Burch)
4. Put a bomber on it. The easiest way to add edge to, well, just about anything? Add a bomber jacket to the mix. Flirty frocks and swishy midi skirts instantly take on a whole new ‘tude when paired with this sporty chic topper. Consider this Coach-approved style your new signature when you need to usher your daytime work duds into after-dark territory stat. (Photo via Thomas Concordia/Getty)
5. Orange is the new black. Come fall, expect striking shades of orange to step into the spotlight. Though a traditional autumnal hue, orange is typically out-shined by red, burgundy, mustard and navy blue. Not so for 2017. Go bold a la Victoria Beckham and put an orange coat, blouse, sweater or pair of trousers at the forefront of your ensemble. To keep the color grounded in sophisticated territory, stick with shades of moody blue, winter white, brown, burgundy and black.
6. Embrace embellishments. A killer coat (especially this Tory Burch beauty) is essential when it comes to lazy-girl dressing. Intricate embellishments, flashy prints and vibrant colors will instantly elevate even the most basic of basics into street style territory. Toss in a pair of scene-stealing steppers and a saucy mini bag FTW. (via Tory Burch)
7. Flares are your friends. Diane Von Furstenberg Pleat Front Flare Pants ($298): You lead a full, dynamic lifestyle, so why should your nine-to-five duds remain static? Kick snoozy boardroom separates to the curb for good and embrace inspired pieces that pack as much of a punch as your go-get-‘em attitude. First things first: flares. Consider the bell-shaped silhouette your new workweek go-to — just add a chic blouse and polished pumps for a working girl getup that isn’t messing around.
8. Switch up your scarf. We love a good oversized scarf, but they don’t exactly scream modern day glamour. That is, until now. Take a page out of Chanel’s style book and rock a long knitted number like an elegant silk wrap to lend an everyday ensemble a note of ladylike elegance. Why didn’t we think of it sooner?! (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
9. Go bold. Don’t shy away from look-at-me color. Tory Burch made a mean argument for taking a more-is-more approach to your ensemble come fall by doubling up on not-so-subtle hues to create this show-stopping look. Warm shades of mustard yellow and orange-brown pair perfectly together (along with throwback design elements) to achieve a retro chic effect that is making us swoon hard. (via Tory Burch)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!