15 Must-Try Food Trucks in Austin
Forget about all the tech + music + films at SXSW, there is (mobile) food to eat! While there are plenty of great brick and mortar spots to chow down at, it’s better to fully immerse yourself in the ATX lifestyle and go on a whirlwind tour of the best Austin has to offer when it comes to food trucks, food trailers and even food carts. We know it’s hard to track down the mobile trucks all week, so we, the Austin aficionados, have your back. Throughout the festival, some of our absolute favorites will be making an appearance at SXSW’s SouthBites Trailer Park. Plus, the Brit + Co Texas locals have some more street eats for you to check out while you’re in town.
1. Cow Tipping Creamery: A milkshake or a soft serve sundae? Why not indulge in both. You can work it off when you come back from ATX.
2. Gourdough’s: This trailer is filled with choices ranging from a bacon donut with maple syrup icing to a fried dough confection with grilled bananas and cream cheese icing topped with brown sugar. Swing by here for an early morning sugar coma.
3. Sno-Beach: Our TX natives at the office rave about this place nonstop, so just go to appease them and get one of everything ;)
4. Veracruz All Natural: Any (and all) of the tacos are brilliant menu options. Make sure to pair whatever you get with a watermelon agua fresca or you aren’t getting the full experience.
5. Chi’lantro: Pick up an order of kimchi fries and you’re good to go for the rest of the day.
6. The Peached Tortilla: Burgers, tacos, burritos, oh my! Get a lunch combo and a cake pop and you’ll easily sail to happy hour, well… happy.
7. Hey Cupcake!: While frozen sweets are refreshing in the heat of Austin, sometimes it’s nice to bite into a baked good. This trailer has the best ones around.
8. The Mighty Cone: You can’t go wrong with anything here, just make sure you don’t go on a Monday when they are closed up.
10. Bananarchy: Get your B-A-N-A-N-A-S on at this speciality banana stand. People dress up and count down for its opening, so you know it’s legit.
11. Torchy’s Tacos: Get the trailer park tacos. That is all you need to know.
12. East Side King: Run by Top Chef winner Paul Qui, this truck has got all the Asian fusion fare you were dreaming of indulging in while sitting in a panel.
13. Biscuits + Groovy: This one does Southern food right. With meals named after iconic singers, not only will you be full but you’ll be groovy too ;)
14. Short Bus Subs: Subs from a baby-sized bus. Need we say more? Okay fine, all of their subs are named after school-related topics (examples: The Hot Teacher, The Mascot, The Lunch Lady, etc.). Now hop on the bus.
15. GoodPop: This one’s just a cart, but in years past at SXSW the popsicle company has had carts with FREE frozen goodness. So keep an eye peeled for this one.
Will you be hitting up any of the street food while in Austin? Let us know in the comments.
(Photos via @twoeatingmonkeys, @jennifshin, Foursquare, @tallestmanintheworld, @___adrenaline, @iloveaustin, @hacienda_collection, @kimmybrulee, Bananarchy Facebook, 365 Things Austin, @eminouye, @global007, Short Bus Subs Facebook and @goodpop)