15 Ways to Upgrade Your Space With IKEA® Without Breaking the Bank
This season, we’re taking a different approach to spring cleaning. Rather than scrubbing and scraping our way through the house, we’re reimagining our homes for the ultimate spring *refresh.* That’s why we’re teaming up with IKEA® to reimagine our yards, patios, and decks and give them an easy (and affordable) upgrade. Spring is the perfect time to get your backyard game on point, so you can create the ideal summer stay-cation destination.
We’re super pumped to be partnering with IKEA®, since their spring and summer items are vibrant, colorful, and very, very patterned. The IKEA® Spring Refresh Guide is chock-full of ideas and inspiration to give your outdoor space a total makeover. So scroll on and check out these 15 ways to take your backyard to the next level.
1. Bring in some brightness with a little greenery. After all, it is the color of the year. Add new life (LITERALLY) to your space with plants and colored pots. We love the cheery palette of the SOCKER plant pots ($1-$3)!
2.Exercise your green thumb. Not only is gardening beneficial to your health, but it’s also an affordable and fun way to take your yard to the next level. From a shelf of plants to a full-blown garden bed, plant life IS life. Make it easier on yourself with the HINDÖ potting bench ($60) and a pair of KRYDDNEJLIKA gardening gloves ($2).
3. Make it pop with color. The days of gray are gone, so why not really make your backyard shine with a SOMMAR 2017 outdoor rug ($10)? These rugs are durable, vibrant, and cost less than a craft cocktail. If that’s not a steal, we don’t know what is!
4. Get cozy. Outdoor cushions are just what you need to craft a comfy area for lounging. The HÅLLÖ SERIES ($9-$40) of cushions pair nicely with the KUNGSHOLMEN furniture, while the GRENÖ outdoor cushion ($9) brings much needed color to this scene.
5. Throw the right kind of shade. The ultimate goal of revamping your backyard is obviously to maximize your time in it. So be sure to keep yourself safe from the sun with an umbrella, like the SAMSÖ umbrella and base ($79). It’s adjustable and bright, providing shade in all the right places.
Umbrella with base
Table and 4 armchairs
6. Take your backyard furniture up a notch. There’s nothing like dining al fresco, especially when you’re in the comfort of your own home. So upgrade or add a dining set to your yard for the perfect dining experience. We love the FALHOLMEN outdoor set ($259). It’s sturdy, attractive, and won’t break the bank.
7. Step up your tableware game. We know this isn’t EXACTLY upgrading your outdoor space, BUT it will definitely give you even more reasons to spend time outside. Get summer ready with tableware like this SOMMAR 2017 side plate ($4) and bowl ($4). They’re incredibly cute and affordable. We NEED the whole set right now, BRB!
8. …and servingware! Sure, this could have been included in the previous tip, but the JASSA collection deserves to be highlighted all on its own. We’re completely obsessed with the vibrant line, like the JASSA serving plate ($13) featured here.
9. Be the hostess with the mostest. With all the time and care you’re investing in your yard, you KNOW your friends are going to want to cruise over all the time. So why not go easy on yourself and create an easy entertainment area? The ÄPPLARÖ / KLASEN serving cart ($89) is a great way to prepare, mix, and serve cocktails while hanging out with your besties.
10. Take your meals outside. Now that you have the proper dining furniture, you have no excuse not to enjoy eating in your yard. Fill the table with seasonal and fresh goodies and pair them with some staples. Believe it or not, IKEA® sells food as well! So while you’re picking out your favorite outdoor items, hit up the IKEA® Swedish Food Market for smoked salmon ($8), rye crisps ($6), and traditional herring fillets ($2).
11. Get summer grilling ready. Everyone loves a good BBQ! If you don’t already have a grill, it’s time to get on it ASAP. It keeps cooking fun, easy, and social, so pick up the ÄPPLARÖ / KLASEN charcoal grill ($109) in time for the warm summer nights to hit.
12. Create a peaceful sanctuary. Make time to take a breather in your yard. This JASSA floor pillow ($20) is the perfect thing to bring outside and get your zen on. After all, health and wellness are key this year.
13. Set the mood with a little lighting. After the sun sets, you can still keep the party going. Whether it’s a solo-date or hanging with your friends, you’ll want to make sure you’re keeping your night nice and bright. Pair the SOLVINDEN decoration with an outdoor LED light chain, add some super safe LED candles, and you’ve got yourself an instantly dreamy evening.
14. Make space for a legit stay-cation. Build your very own glampout! Need help? Check out these tips from our B+C experts. Make sure you keep it colorful, cozy, and filled with fun. We can’t get enough of the JASSA and SOMMAR 2017 lines that are filled with striking patterns.
15. Fill your refreshed space with friends. Finally, you can spend as much time and money on perfecting your space, but there’s nothing like good company to make it feel complete. So sit back, relax, enjoy a drink, and make time to catch up with one of your nearest and dearests.
How are you upgrading your backyard this year? Share with us on Instagram by tagging @BritandCo.
This post is a collaboration with IKEA®.