You’re ready for a vacay, but your bank account isn’t. No worries: Based on 1.5 billion searches on their site and app, KAYAK has identified 10 awesome, yet affordable travel spots to enjoy, guilt-free. Scroll below to check out these wallet-friendly destinations, then grab your bags and get packing.
1. Guadalajara, Mexico: If you’re looking to stray from your typical beach vacay, consider this city. Known for its bountiful mariachi and tequila scene, a fiesta is always nearby. An average trip to Guadalajara (flight + hotel) is 41 percent cheaper than the median international trip. Flight fares typically fall around $300, but you can usually get something cheaper during the month of May.
2. Calgary, Canada: Western Canada may not be top of mind for a getaway. However, the Rocky Mountains mixed with this cosmopolitan city make it the perfect place to go to escape your day-to-day. When booking a flight, try for September or October to score the most inexpensive rate.
3. Orlando, Florida: Thinking theme parks? Travel to this top amusement park destination. Throughout the months of January or September, you can snag airfare as low as $178 (yes, you heard that right!).
4. Raleigh, North Carolina: Experience true Southern charm in North Carolina’s capital city. Whether you’re museum hopping or street shopping, there’s so much to explore, all for a v. reasonable $250 round-trip fee (in the months of January and February).
5. Denver, Colorado: Calling all outdoor adventurers! From skiing any of the nearby resorts, to fly fishing and hiking in the mountains, there’s a little something for any active spirit hidden in this southwestern state. Luckily, the cheapest times to fly happen to be January and August, so you can get a taste of both climates. Have your pick!
6. Fort Myers, Florida: If you’re desperately in need of some vitamin D, consider Fort Myers. For the month of January, you can score flights for around $200, which, TBH, is a small price to pay for extra sun during those long winter months.
7. Tampa, Florida: Enjoy the best of both worlds in Tampa. Stroll through museums or shake things up with a night out on the town. Either way, you’ll be happy you paid a visit to this sunny town once the temps go down everywhere else. Note: Book a trip at the beginning of the year for the lowest rates.
8. Salt Lake City, Utah: This mountainous region is great for those with an appetite for food and the outdoors. Either way you experience it, you’re sure to cure your bout of wanderlust. Pro tip: Plan to make the trek mid-winter or early fall for the best flight fares.
9. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Sure, this northern city gets a bad rap for cold winters, but come the summer months, it’s a complete culture change. The lake scene (yes, it’s a thing) is the place to be, but shopping comes in a close second with the world’s largest shopping mall just a short drive away. We recommend purchasing travel in early spring or late summer for the most affordable deals.
10. Baltimore, Maryland: The birthplace of our national anthem boasts more than just good beats. In fact, this seaside city has a plethora of seafood, shops, and historical museums, making a trip there in early September well-worth the $213 fee.
What destination are you diggin’? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)