12 Flats We Love in Protest of Cannes’ No-Flats Policy
The Cannes Film Festival stirred up quite the controversy this past weekend when reports flooded in that several attendees were turned away from a screening of Carol (starring Cate Blanchett) for wearing flats. A spokesperson for the festival denied the reports, stating that they were “unfounded.” While there is no official regulation on heel height, the esteemed and star-studded festival does require formalwear for all screenings. As expected, tons of people, celebrities included, have taken to social media to share their outrage on the flat/heel policy. Emily Blunt responded, “I think everyone should wear flats, to be honest. We shouldn’t wear high heels anymore. That’s just my point of view. I prefer to wear Converse sneakers. That’s very disappointing.”
1. ASOS Lower Pointed Double Strap Ballet Flats ($40): With its dainty double ankle strap and dreamy pastel color, you’ll want to wear these all summer long no matter if the occasion calls for a day dress or cutoffs.
2. & Other Stories Pointy Leather Flats ($120): These are NOT your average D’Orsay flats. From the cutouts to the patent detailing to the chic color blocking, they’re the definition of next-level footwear.
3. Sam Edelman Augusta Flats ($100): These are the sweetest scalloped flats, especially in that shimmery rose gold finish. A must for any girly girl.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Macy Cutout Tassel Loafers ($193): Whether you’re wearing a tailored two-piece suit or a fit-and-flare dress, metallic loafers add just the right amount of masculine flair.
5. Zara Flat Leather Slippers ($60): Flats don’t get sleeker than this. Try not to swoon as you imagine them on a minimalist dresser like Rooney Mara.
6. Steve Madden Euphoria ($70): Geometric cutouts make these springy flats year round-worthy (summer and winter whites FTW!).
7. Sole Society Chandler T-flats ($46): These strappy flats are the perfect combination of edgy and feminine. The rich plum color is extremely versatile, not to mention to die for.
8. Romwe Navy With Rivet Suede Flats ($29): Brassy studs give a wink of rock and roll flair to these sleek slippers. We’re dying to wear them with culottes during the work week and skinny jeans on the weekends.
9. Forever 21 Faux Patent Leather Flats ($25): These chunky ankle strap flats are definitely for cool girls only. We’re imagining Kate Bosworth rocking these with a frosty slip dress or a button-front A-line skirt.
10. Jeffrey Campbell Shay Lace Up Flat ($130): The latest trend to make us swoon? Lace-up anything — and these shoes are no exception. The pastel hue gives us major ballerina vibes with a fashion-forward touch that looks just as good with jeans as your LBD.
11. French Sole Noir Polka Dot Mesh Flat ($188): Preppy in all the right places, these polka dot peep toes will give you all the incentive to pamper yourself with a pedi that matches your purse.
12. M. Gemi The Cara ($198): You will be the life of the party in these shiny holographic slingbacks that will chic up an all-black outfit like that.
What are your thoughts on the heels controversy at Cannes? Tell us in the comments!
(Feature photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)