15 Ways to Look like a NYFW Street Style Star for $100 or Less
There are two things fashion girls can count on every September: huge bargains at Labor Day sales and top-notch fall outfit inspiration from the crowd at New York Fashion Week. The style tips we get from bloggers, editors and It girls running from show to show are nothing but next level, a mix of precise POV and go-with-your-gut instincts that make outfits truly great. While there are more chances than ever to see the shows first hand this season (did you nab a free ticket to the Givenchy show or DL the app for Rebecca Minkoff’s virtual runway headset?) you don’t have to have an invite to dress like a fashion darling this fall. Just shop this hand-picked list of under-$100 gems from your favorite retailers to get the Insta-worthy looks.
1. A Common Space Black Lace-Up Bodysuit ($58): Channel your inner Stevie Nicks for this badass take on the ‘70s revival trend. With a neckline down to there, it’s undoubtedly sexy without trying too hard and one of the easiest ways to elevate the most basic of bottoms.
2. & Other Stories Wide-Brimmed Wool Hat ($65): We all know that second-day hair is a fashion girl’s best friend, but as for days three and four – you’re pushing it. This season, a colorful wool hat is the key to giving your roots a day or two off, not to mention it’ll add a romantic touch to any look.
3. ASOS First & I Belted Waterfall Duster Coat ($63): Your statement coat should look like your most effortless layer. Nail that vibe with this waterfall duster. Plus, its crisp peachy color is so versatile, it’ll look on-point whether you pair it with an army green jumpsuit, a little black dress or your most colorful French-girl striped top.
4. ASOS Casual Maxi Shirt Dress ($86): We’re calling this *the* lazy girl style hack of the season: It’s casual, polished, figure-flattering (love you, drawstring waist) and has pockets. Toss your moto jacket over your shoulders and you’re good to go whether you’re rocking sneaks or not.
5. COS Triangle Leather Clutch ($89): Step up your clutch game with this sculptural gem that’s the perfect backdrop for a fresh mani.
6. Forever 21 Turtleneck Tunic ($25): Beat the cold in the most babely way possible with this chunky turtleneck tunic. Keep things playfully covered up with flow-y culottes and over-the-knee boots.
7. Front Row Shop Red Crinkled Layered Midi Dress ($52): While everyone else is rocking fringe, turn heads in the cooles ruffled dress we’ve ever seen. Keep all eyes on the texture of the dress with minimalist flats and barely-done straight hair.
8. H&M Necklace With Tassels ($25): You’ve proven your allegiance to minimalist jewelry, but a special occasion calls for something much more statement making, like this tiered rope necklace with gemstones and ombre fringe. Throw it over a boxy white tee and colorful wide-legged trousers and you’re practically ready for your #OOTD.
9. Lisa Says Gah Clare Vivier Fin Tee ($99): When it comes to graphic tees, you can’t go wrong with these guidelines: Keep it simple and keep it French.
10. Mango Pleated Palazzo Trousers ($100): Amp up the drama of your wide-legged trousers with these pleated pants that would look so cozy-cool paired with a bright, oversized sweater and lace-up flats.
11. Need Supply Gemma Bangle ($28): You can count on this green bangle as your go-to pop of color, but don’t let it fly solo — stacking bracelets are a big trend this fall, so mix and match it with your arm candy collection to add an instantly eclectic twist to any outfit.
12. River Island Orange A-Line Zip Front Skirt ($64): Stand out in the sea of denim and suede A-Line minis with this mod-inspired front-zip skirt that will look as cute with loafers and and a billowy collared shirt as it would with booties and a trucker jacket.
13. Topshop Java Buckle Mid Shoes ($75): Crush two shoe trends — snakeskin print and a clunky block heel — with one pair in these slingbacks. Your outfit won’t be the only one happy about the choice — because of the heel size, your feet will thank you too :)
14. Urban Outfitters BDG Suede Tote Bag ($79): If you can’t live without a trusty tote, period, then here’s the trick to making it feel as luxe as any designer bag — upgrade to suede. This emerald color is rich and goes with nearly any other trendy fall color.
15. Zara Long Necklace With Circular Detail ($16): Minimalist jewelry doesn’t have to be so teeny you can hardly see. Sport this two-tiered geometric necklace to elevate a boyfriend cardigan or update your chambray top.
What do you wear to amp up your wardrobe on a budget? Tell us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.