10 Chokers and Tops to Rock All Summer Long
Attention: Chokers are indeed a thing, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. If you haven’t already hopped aboard the Taylor Swift-approved trend (we salute you — your willpower is admirable), brace yourselves — the top and choker pairings below are about to change everything. Chokers go so far beyond the iconic ’90s velvet interpretation, so even if you aren’t big on grunge style, you can still get in on the trend — and on your terms. With refined finishings, modern design and eye-catching embellishments, these 10 throwback baubles are anything but old school, especially when teamed with this season’s must-have silhouettes.
1. Jules Smith Harper Choker Necklace ($115) + Zara Printed Top ($36): What-to-wear conundrums are no more thanks to this fashion-forward fusion that leaves little to be desired. Bright color, a bold print and flirty cold-shoulder silhouette team up with an ultra sleek choker for a killer #OOTD that’s ready to take on your after-hours agenda like a boss. Just add structured culottes and vibrant mules, then get ready to blow away the competition.
2. Mango Metallic Rigid Choker ($30) + & Other Stories Strappy Open Back Bodysuit ($55): Your summer dream team looks a lot like this strappy bodysuit and statement pendant choker duo. Making AM-to-PM costume changes crazy easy (simply swap out your bottoms), these streamlined pieces were made with lazy girls in mind. On their own they’re straight-up flawless, meaning you can throw together an Insta-ready look in seconds — zero effort needed. For a high-low mix that will make you feel like a bonafide It-girl, team it with athleisure separates and a luxe outer layer.
3. Cornelia Webb Wired Open Choker ($205) + Topshop Mix Panel Stripe Shirt ($55): While most of your favorite summer trends won’t make the cut when it comes to your work-week wardrobe, chokers can easily be incorporated into any office-appropriate ensemble, no problem. Trade out your standard white button-down when Monday rolls around for this modern striped number, then throw this druzy choker on top for a touch of modern polish. Continue the minimalist vibe with tailored trousers and menswear-inspired flats in a high-shine metallic finish.
4. ASOS Charm Feather Choker Necklace ($17) + TNA Magellan Blouse ($60): Okay, so festival dressing isn’t all about hippie chic, but these free-wheelin’ duds certainly make the case for embracing your boho side. For extra style cred, tuck this tie-dye tank into relaxed-fit denim — ankles rolled just so — and add strappy wedge sandals in pastel suede for daytime chillin’. Throw on a satin bomber jacket once the sun sets over the main stage.
5. Zara Fringed Necklace ($26) + 1-01 Babaton Elizabeth Blouse ($95): It’s all about balance. A fringe-flecked beaded choker instantly elevates a simple boxy tank into street-style-star territory, while taking on a more mellowed feel that’ll take you from desk to drinks like whoa. Take this winning combination to the office with a sleeveless blazer and silk joggers for a sophisticated sports-chic style, or take it along on GNO with a metallic skirt for an easy-breezy getup that was made for bustin’ a move on the dance floor.
6. Mango Metallic Rigid Choker ($36) + Rag & Bone Remsen Cropped Printed Silk Top ($175): Got glamping on the brain? Consider this pairing a must-pack for your next glammed-up getaway. Teamed with high-waisted shorts and a classy kimono, it’s the perfect companion for sipping Champagne while taking in spectacular sunsets. That’s what it’s all about, right?
7. Urban Outfitters Tara Mesh Choker Necklace ($28) + H&M Crop Top ($5): Usher in summer nights with a free-spirited combo that can kick it day or night. For dinner under the stars with a side of salsa dancing (because you have skills), slip it on with a swishy maxi skirt and embellished block heels FTW. Beach babe waves are highly encouraged.
8. Vanessa Mooney Luna Silver Choker Necklace ($120) + Mango Strap Top ($30): Fact: Pastels don’t have to feel prissy, and this strappy scalloped tank is proof. The plunge neckline was practically made with a lariat choker in mind, and this lapis stunner turns the style factor up to 11. Put a new twist on the whole monochromatic thing by teaming it with distressed white denim and crisscross slingbacks for a sophisticated getup that’ll keep ’em guessing at every turn. DO dress it up with an embroidered denim jacket or patchwork leather topper for added drama and texture.
9. BaubleBar Vivian Choker ($28) + J.Crew Off-the-Shoulder Top ($98): Set your summer style apart from the rest by saying sayonara to neutral off-the-shoulder tops that will have you playing twinsies with every other girl in town. Thanks, but no thanks. Get your shoulder-baring fix with this playful polka dot top instead. And while you’re at it, take a pass on basic chokers too (sorry, bolos — we really do love you). Iridescent crystals and sparkling sequins are what a Saturday night ensemble calls for, and this glitzy style will always do you right. Besides making those polka dots pop, it’ll make an anytime-appropriate top feel ready to partay.
10. BaubleBar Abbey Choker ($36) + Alexis Jason Fringed Silk Top ($147): When it comes to special-occasion dressing, why should dresses get to have all the fun? For your BFF’s impending nuptials, forget the frock and try on a fringed-out top and trouser combo for an unexpected look that will earn you serious props from the bride-to-be (and everyone else on the guest list). No-frills baubles are key in order to let the top’s best features shine, and a chic choker definitely fits the bill. The dark maroon hue pops against a canvas of pretty pastels for a visual kick.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.