If you’re expecting a new baby this year, you’ll likely spend a decent amount of time picking out a baby name, deciding how to decorate the nursery, and even planning a going-home outfit for baby. But with all the focus on your little one, it’s not uncommon to have completely forgotten about what outfits will make you feel good, cozy, and ready to take on the world with a baby in tow. But having a newborn doesn’t mean you have to be a hot mess. By investing in any of these eight picks that are easy to wear — and easy to nurse in — you can be comfortable and stylish while your body is transitioning from preggers to post-baby.
1. Hatch Jersey Drape Dress ($248): Granted, this dress involves throwing down a bit of moolah, but it can be worn during pregnancy, throughout the postpartum deflation and beyond. Pair it with sandals in the summer or with leggings and a sweater in the winter and you have yourself an all-season investment piece you’ll feel confident running errands or going to dinner in.
2. Mamalicious Lounge Pant ($38): These pants will cover your entire belly like a big stretchy cocoon, which can be surprisingly comforting after childbirth. The design is also forgiving, as there’s no waistband cinching under your belly or irritating a C-section incision. Pair these straight-cut pants with a stylish wrap-style nursing top, and you’ve got a look that’s put together but incredibly comfortable too.
3. Loyal Hanna Layla Maternity/Nursing Dress ($115): If you’re expecting a crew of friends and family to play paparazzi when you arrive home from the hospital, consider slipping into this comfy and post-preggers-belly-friendly LBD. This dress also features a sneaky side zipper on both sides for easy access to nurse.
4. Loft Maternity Floral Breeze Utility Blouse ($65): Take some new mom inspiration from Kate Middleton by making a bright floral print the accent of your outfit. Wear this easy-to-nurse-in button-down shirt with leggings or jeans to create an outfit that looks celeb styled, but takes no time at all to pull together.
5. Hanna Andersson Maternity Silk-Touched Wrap Sweater ($98): Part sweater, part accessory, this sweater wrap is perfect for new moms who just delivered in the chillier months. Throw this wrap on over a long nursing cami and style it with maternity-friendly leggings, or wear it with a long tank dress to elevate your cozy basics game.
6. Mod Cloth A Lovely Label T-Shirt ($30): Did you just deliver an actual human being into the world? Yes. Yes you did. Let the world hear your roar — you earned it! The construction of this shirt will be forgiving to your still-round belly, and it comes in a large range of sizes. Wear this shirt proudly with sleek and stretchy black leggings or your fave pair of maternity jeans.
7. Liz Lange for Target Maternity Inset Under-the-Belly Medium-Wash Flare Jeans ($35): Channel your inner French-girl style for an effortlessly chic trip home from the hospital. Throw on these roomy flared jeans and style them with a striped cotton top and slip-on flats or loafers for a comfy and casual look.
8. UNIQLO Extra Fine Cotton Oversized Long Sleeve Shirt ($30): This shirt has an oversized fit that can work with your pregnant belly now and still look great with leggings once you’re well past the postpartum stage. The button-down design is perfect for nursing and the overall look of the shirt gives off a polished vibe without even trying.
What new-mama outfits are you planning to wear your first few months with baby? Share your ideas with us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.