15 Reasons You Should Be Following Copenhagen Fashion Week
Forget French and Italian girl style (well, don’t forget it altogether) — stylish Scandinavians are the ones to follow. But while the fashion world is totally fixated on what goes down in NYC, London, Paris and Milan, Copenhagen Fashion Week largely flies under the radar. That said, the street style is certainly a force to be reckoned with — the cobblestone streets of the Danish capital are jam-packed with plenty of real-deal outfit inspiration that would make any fashion enthusiast or It-girl in training straight-up swoon. So what sets Scandi style apart? The lack of eye-roll-inducing peacocking, for starters. But really, the getups are incredibly effortless and down to earth. Closet basics like classic white shirts and essential denim are styled alongside statement sneakers and suiting, and ah-mazing accessories are used intelligently to elevate otherwise understated ensembles. Basically, CPHFW is a fine example of sartorial balance — something you won’t always find at the more mainstream fashion weeks. To give you a taste of what you’ve been missing, we’ve pulled some of our favorite looks straight from Copenhagen’s stylish streets. Scroll on for 15 swoon-inducing looks you’ll want to rock all season long.
1. Sheer Skirts and Cozy Cardigans: Never underestimate the power of a few hard-hitting closet basics. This getup is a bonafide sartorial powerhouse with its impeccable mix of off-duty essentials and show-stopping statement pieces. The unexpected mix tones down the skirt’s scandalous vibe, creating the ultimate balance of high and low.
2. Laid-Back Suiting: Proving that suiting doesn’t have to be stuffy, Tine Andrea went bold in the color department with a vibrant shade of cobalt blue, then jazzed things up with a graphic tee and sneakers for a getup that exudes effortless cool. Your new on-the-clock signature? We’re thinking yes.
3. Leather Slip Dress and Bell-Sleeved Top: A ’70s-inspired twist on a ’90s style staple? Yes, please! A bell-sleeve top and leather slip dress unite for an It-girl-approved ensemble that’s just as edgy as it is effortless. Throw in a bright crossbody bag and signature shades for good measure.
4. Pajama Dressing: We’re down with any outfit that boasts this much roll-out-of-bed-and-go appeal. Pajama separates look straight-up chic when dressed up with of-the-moment heels, elegant baubles and a timeless structured bag. Bring it.
5. Graphic Sweatshirt and Skirt: Comfortably cool is what you’ll be demanding of all your ensembles after giving this sports chic outfit a once over. Classic sneakers and a graphic sweat bring a street-chic edge to a flowy printed skirt, ensuring you get even more wear out of your dressier duds. For extra style points, team the athleisure-inspired ensemble with a ladylike bag and wind-tousled locks.
6. Rib Knit Top and Trousers: If this bold and bright #OOTD is any indication, sweater dressing is about to step up its style game a good five notches. A rib knit zip top and corresponding belted trousers are probably the sneakiest and most stylish alternative to rockin’ sweats outside the house. Tone down the throw-on-and-go vibe with elevated accessories, like embroidered heels and a statement bag.
7. Statement Striped Duster Jacket: Have a printed coat, will proceed to pull it out for every occasion. Whether you’re zipping around town on a set of vintage wheels or schmoozing with the best of them at a networking event, a statement topper will always do you right. Toss it over a structured shirt dress or a pair of boyfriend jeans for a next-level outfit that requires almost zero effort.
8. Oversized Button-Down Shirt and Cropped Flares: Any outfit that can pull double duty like a pro is a winner in our book, and this minimalist getup doesn’t disappoint. With a sleeveless blazer in tow, this button-down and cropped flares combo nails the concept of on-the-clock chic. It segues seamlessly into after-hours territory with a simple untuck and tousling of tresses. Throw in a studded clutch and you’re golden.
9. Maxi Dress and Slides: If one-and-done dressing is your signature move, this two-second ensemble will feel right on cue. Toss on a printed maxi dress and a pair of embellished slides, and you’re ready to hit the ground running. For max perfection, style alongside a statement belt and an oversized clutch with plenty of room to stash your everyday essentials.
10. Hoodie and Leather Pinafore Dress: Been wondering just how to give your tried-and-true hoodie a bit of extra panache? Take a note from Linda Tol and rock it under a statement dress (we’re partial to this luxe leather number) for an unexpected #OOTD that’s straight-up sass, especially when there’s a pair of red-hot ankle boots thrown into the mix. Now this is athleisure at its finest.
11. Color-Coordinated Prints: Doing the mixing and matching thing doesn’t have to mean going crazy with color. Follow Darja Barannik’s lead and opt for timeless prints (think: Breton stripes, plaid and animal print) and neutral tones to create a classy-yet-intriguing look that nails it every single time. Bonus points for classic silhouettes with working-girl appeal and pointed-toe steppers that mean business.
12. Over-the-Knee Boots and Band Tee: Badass doesn’t even begin to cover it. When the temps take a dip, rethink your approach to layering by swapping out a lightweight sweater for a band tee with major ‘tude. Toss the oversized topper over a flirty swing dress for a touch of cool contrast that nobody will see coming. In the footwear department, go for a more-is-more look, stepping into a pair of suede over-the-knee boots that provide plenty of coverage and personality.
13. Embellished Leather Jacket and Patchwork Skirt: Bohemian babe and rock goddess aesthetics combine for a wear-anywhere ensemble perfect for GNO or a casual indie concert at your favorite local spot. Glam it up with a sleek topknot, smokey eye and statement cuff.
14. Double Denim: The double denim trend is still alive and kickin’, as evidenced on Copenhagen’s cobblestone streets. To avoid a questionable Canadian-tuxedo aesthetic, opt for updates on classic silhouettes, then take your look to the next level with court shoes and modern minimalist jewelry.
15. Bohemian Maxi Dresses: Copenhagen Fashion Week is all about keepin’ it real, and Marie Hindkær Wolthers and Fiona Jane perfectly embodied that concept. Armed with everyday maxi dresses and boxy crossbody bags, their low-key looks feel effortlessly chic.
Are you diggin’ the Danish aesthetic? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!