Calling all self-proclaimed ‘90s babes! The latest comeback trend will have you whipping out your beloved Doc Martens and leather biker jackets — and breaking all the rules — just in time for an upcoming road trip. Enter the perfect distressed denim mini (or vintage patchwork denim thrift store find) that will inspire you to adopt a grunge style this summer. AKA, you best be adding an Alexa Chung-esque button-front skirt to your throwback capsule wardrobe for double tap-worthy #OOTDs. Not sure how to style your newfound hero piece? Say no more! We’ve got you covered with 12 foolproof ‘90s-inspired shoe and accessory pairings that will give you ALL the feels. Puka shell necklaces may or may not be included for your sartorial delight.
How to Style a Denim Skort
1. American Apparel Woven Jelly Sandal ($45) + Madewell Denim Mini Skort ($80): We can’t decide what we’re more obsessed with: the denim skort (cue the squeals) or the ugly-cute lilac jelly sandals. As far as daytime casual looks go, it doesn’t get any more practical than this all-star pairing that’s made for the girl on the go with a jam-packed schedule. Throw in a vintage band tee and a too-cool-for-school mini backpack for a traffic-stopping look.
How to Style a Denim Patchwork Skirt
2. Free People Vintage Rock Pins ($48) + Topshop Tall High-Waisted Denim Skirt ($68): You’re a free-spirited soul with a penchant for all things ‘90s (this includes everything from road tripping to rock concerts) and, no surprise, a patchwork denim skirt is right up your alley. This one’s begging to be teamed with a leather jacket and classic Chuck Taylors. But don’t stop there — give your prized denim skirt some flair by customizing it with a set of vintage rock pins that will make you the raddest gal in town.
How to Style a Frayed Denim Skirt
3. Beksie’s Boutique Exclusive Showtime Pom Pom Fanny Pack ($62) + One Teaspoon 2020 Skirt Bleu Creme ($115): Fact: You can’t do the ‘90s right without a healthy dose of Lisa Frank’s rainbow-filled world of unicorns and kitties. Good thing we tracked down the *perfect* neon leopard print fanny pack to accompany your favorite high-waisted denim skirt. Throw in a white t-shirt and some Birks for a carefree outfit made for running errands (or, you know, playing Pokémon Go).
How to Style a Striped Denim Skirt
4. BaubleBar Whitely Choker ($28) + Marc by Marc Jacobs Striped Denim Skirt ($178): Usher in a rocker ‘tude with this black and white striped denim mini that’s more punk than grunge. (Don’t worry — neon pink pixie cut not required.) For a contemporary twist, style it alongside a sleek black bow choker that errs on the feminine side without sacrificing any edge. In true blogger fashion, a fierce fedora and lace-up bodysuit will give you that tough-girl-chic look in no time.
How to Style a Denim Moto Skirt
5. ASOS ’90s Tattoo Choker Necklace ($7) + Topshop Moto Denim Patch Work Pelmet ($60): Don’t lie: You totally had a tattoo necklace in grade school just like all your BFFs. Bring things full circle by styling this stretchy tattoo choker with a slew of throwback ‘90s style essentials, including a tried-and-true denim patchwork skirt that didn’t get nearly enough wear the first go-around. Ankle booties and a swipe of dark red lipstick are obligatory as you channel your inner Gigi Hadid or Kendall Jenner for a look that’s so RN.
How to Style an Embroidered Denim Skirt
6. Ban.do Girl’s Gotta Eat Lunch Bag ($24) + The Kooples Short Denim Skirt With Floral Embroidery Details ($260): Cool girl alert! Don’t let summer break stop you from bringing the schoolgirl charm. Show ‘em who’s boss by pairing this dainty floral embroidered denim skirt with a Peter Pan collar blouse and menswear-inspired loafers for a look that works around the clock. Pro tip: Ditch the prim and proper satchel for this rad holographic lunch bag that doubles as a going-out clutch, ‘cuz you’re cool like that.
How to Style a Striped A-Line Denim Skirt
7. Topshop Metal Mirrored Sunglasses ($38) + Topshop Moto Stripe A-Line Skirt ($30): Blend in with the crowd? Not on our watch. Turn some heads with this athleisure-inspired getup that demands respect, consisting of a striped moto skirt and throwback mirrored sunnies. Come after-hours, top off your look with a satin bomber jacket and pull out the old-school kicks for major style cred.
How to Style an Edgy Denim Skirt
8. New Look 90s Sleek Circles Drop Earrings ($10) + Boohoo Blue Annie Asymmetric Zip Denim Mini Skirt ($26): Nothing says epic GNO (or date night with bae) like a come-hither denim zip mini that slays on and off the dance floor. Just add a lingerie-esque cami and chunky platforms for a hint of sex appeal (and a lotta leg action). In lieu of studded accessories, opt for sleek gold circle drop earrings that could even pass for the boardroom.
How to Style a Denim Fringed Skirt
9. Local Heroes in a Mood Denim Patch Tote Bag ($55) + Boohoo Freya Frayed Hem Denim Mini Skirt ($26): Keep the outfit blahs away with this denim-on-denim combo that’s guaranteed to usher in the summatime vibes. Whether you’re hitting up a rodeo or dancing the afternoon away at a music festival, you need a frayed denim skirt with this much off-duty appeal (combat boots are non-negotiable). Feeling angsty? Let your rad denim patchwork tote, complete with a bacon and avocado patch, do all the talking.
How to Style a Denim Button-Front Skirt
10. Ouroboros x Free People Found by the Sea Shell Earring ($68) + Topshop Moto Floral Embroidered Skirt ($66): Now here’s a denim skirt (read: non-distressed) even Mom would approve of. Between the pretty floral embroidery and flattering A-line silhouette, this wardrobe workhorse could serve double-duty for date night and a wedding in the English countryside. Toss on a breezy off-the-shoulder top and summery puka shell earrings and you’re good to go for whatever the end of summer throws your way.
How to Style a Denim Midi Skirt
12. Jeffrey Campbell Wink-Mule ($120) + Madewell Denim Midi Skirt ($90): Take note: This is not your everyday button-front skirt — it’s WAY further ahead of the fashion curve. In true Man Repeller style, the only way to become major street-style bait is to pack on the head-turning accessories. Fancy steppers? Look no further than these cheeky wink-eye mules that will get you noticed for all the right reasons.
What’s your favorite way to style a denim skirt? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.