12 Denim Skirt Pairings for Die-Hard ’90s Girls
Calling all self-proclaimed ‘90s babes! The latest comeback trend will have you whipping out your beloved Doc Martens and leather biker jackets — and breaking all the rules — just in time for an upcoming road trip. Enter the perfect distressed denim mini (or vintage patchwork denim thrift store find) that will inspire you to adopt a grunge style this summer. AKA, you best be adding an Alexa Chung-esque button-front skirt to your throwback capsule wardrobe for double tap-worthy #OOTDs. Not sure how to style your newfound hero piece? Say no more! We’ve got you covered with 12 foolproof ‘90s-inspired shoe and accessory pairings that will give you ALL the feels. Puka shell necklaces may or may not be included for your sartorial delight.
1. American Apparel Woven Jelly Sandal ($45) + Madewell Denim Mini Skort ($80): We can’t decide what we’re more obsessed with: the denim skort (cue the squeals) or the ugly-cute lilac jelly sandals. As far as daytime casual looks go, it doesn’t get any more practical than this all-star pairing that’s made for the girl on the go with a jam-packed schedule. Throw in a vintage band tee and a too-cool-for-school mini backpack for a traffic-stopping look.
How to Style a Denim Patchwork Skirt
2. Free People Vintage Rock Pins ($48) + Topshop Tall High-Waisted Denim Skirt ($68): You’re a free-spirited soul with a penchant for all things ‘90s (this includes everything from road tripping to rock concerts) and, no surprise, a patchwork denim skirt is right up your alley. This one’s begging to be teamed with a leather jacket and classic Chuck Taylors. But don’t stop there — give your prized denim skirt some flair by customizing it with a set of vintage rock pins that will make you the raddest gal in town.
How to Style a Frayed Denim Skirt
3. Beksie’s Boutique Exclusive Showtime Pom Pom Fanny Pack ($62) + One Teaspoon 2020 Skirt Bleu Creme ($115): Fact: You can’t do the ‘90s right without a healthy dose of Lisa Frank’s rainbow-filled world of unicorns and kitties. Good thing we tracked down the *perfect* neon leopard print fanny pack to accompany your favorite high-waisted denim skirt. Throw in a white t-shirt and some Birks for a carefree outfit made for running errands (or, you know, playing Pokémon Go).
How to Style a Striped Denim Skirt
4. BaubleBar Whitely Choker ($28) + Marc by Marc Jacobs Striped Denim Skirt ($178): Usher in a rocker ‘tude with this black and white striped denim mini that’s more punk than grunge. (Don’t worry — neon pink pixie cut not required.) For a contemporary twist, style it alongside a sleek black bow choker that errs on the feminine side without sacrificing any edge. In true blogger fashion, a fierce fedora and lace-up bodysuit will give you that tough-girl-chic look in no time.
How to Style a Denim Moto Skirt
5. ASOS ’90s Tattoo Choker Necklace ($7) + Topshop Moto Denim Patch Work Pelmet ($60): Don’t lie: You totally had a tattoo necklace in grade school just like all your BFFs. Bring things full circle by styling this stretchy tattoo choker with a slew of throwback ‘90s style essentials, including a tried-and-true denim patchwork skirt that didn’t get nearly enough wear the first go-around. Ankle booties and a swipe of dark red lipstick are obligatory as you channel your inner Gigi Hadid or Kendall Jenner for a look that’s so RN.
How to Style an Embroidered Denim Skirt
6. Ban.do Girl’s Gotta Eat Lunch Bag ($24) + The Kooples Short Denim Skirt With Floral Embroidery Details ($260): Cool girl alert! Don’t let summer break stop you from bringing the schoolgirl charm. Show ‘em who’s boss by pairing this dainty floral embroidered denim skirt with a Peter Pan collar blouse and menswear-inspired loafers for a look that works around the clock. Pro tip: Ditch the prim and proper satchel for this rad holographic lunch bag that doubles as a going-out clutch, ‘cuz you’re cool like that.
How to Style a Striped A-Line Denim Skirt
7. Topshop Metal Mirrored Sunglasses ($38) + Topshop Moto Stripe A-Line Skirt ($30): Blend in with the crowd? Not on our watch. Turn some heads with this athleisure-inspired getup that demands respect, consisting of a striped moto skirt and throwback mirrored sunnies. Come after-hours, top off your look with a satin bomber jacket and pull out the old-school kicks for major style cred.
How to Style an Edgy Denim Skirt
8. New Look 90s Sleek Circles Drop Earrings ($10) + Boohoo Blue Annie Asymmetric Zip Denim Mini Skirt ($26): Nothing says epic GNO (or date night with bae) like a come-hither denim zip mini that slays on and off the dance floor. Just add a lingerie-esque cami and chunky platforms for a hint of sex appeal (and a lotta leg action). In lieu of studded accessories, opt for sleek gold circle drop earrings that could even pass for the boardroom.
How to Style a Denim Fringed Skirt
9. Local Heroes in a Mood Denim Patch Tote Bag ($55) + Boohoo Freya Frayed Hem Denim Mini Skirt ($26): Keep the outfit blahs away with this denim-on-denim combo that’s guaranteed to usher in the summatime vibes. Whether you’re hitting up a rodeo or dancing the afternoon away at a music festival, you need a frayed denim skirt with this much off-duty appeal (combat boots are non-negotiable). Feeling angsty? Let your rad denim patchwork tote, complete with a bacon and avocado patch, do all the talking.
How to Style a Denim Button-Front Skirt
10. Ouroboros x Free People Found by the Sea Shell Earring ($68) + Topshop Moto Floral Embroidered Skirt ($66): Now here’s a denim skirt (read: non-distressed) even Mom would approve of. Between the pretty floral embroidery and flattering A-line silhouette, this wardrobe workhorse could serve double-duty for date night and a wedding in the English countryside. Toss on a breezy off-the-shoulder top and summery puka shell earrings and you’re good to go for whatever the end of summer throws your way.
How to Style a Denim Midi Skirt
12. Jeffrey Campbell Wink-Mule ($120) + Madewell Denim Midi Skirt ($90): Take note: This is not your everyday button-front skirt — it’s WAY further ahead of the fashion curve. In true Man Repeller style, the only way to become major street-style bait is to pack on the head-turning accessories. Fancy steppers? Look no further than these cheeky wink-eye mules that will get you noticed for all the right reasons.
What’s your favorite way to style a denim skirt? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.