Our 5 Favorite DIYs from Design Milk
Among the myriad things (photo booths, DIYs handmade goodies and seriously amazing speakers) getting us psyched for Re:Make, hearing from Design Milk founder Jaime Derringer during our Day 1 conference is pretty freakin’ high on our list! To get you ready for all things DIY, we compiled five of Design Milk’s most colorful and creative at-home projects — each guaranteed to upgrade the decor in any room of your home. So engage your inner maker below, then join us at Re:Make this weekend to get makin’ IRL.
1. Woven Headboard: Spruce up a boring bed frame with a DIY headboard using two simple materials, rope and fabric. Pro tip: Swap out the colorful swatches each season to keep things fresh without breaking your budget.
2. Concrete Bauble Garland: We have a thing for concrete DIYs and can’t wait to put this one to the test. Hang these cemented baubles by a fireplace as shown, decorate a window pane or doorway or use them to add a pop of color (and inspire conversation) at your next dinner party.
3. Bring Urban Art Inside: Brighten up your decor with neon graffiti-inspired art using Sharpies and clear film paper. Cut the paper in whatever shapes you want and simply hang them together on the wall of your choice. And the best part of this graffiti? You can move, remove or rearrange it whenever you want.
4. Scotchblue Painters’ Tape Lamps: Go minimalist and modern with these DIY lamps, made here with painters’ tape and small wooden dowels. To add even more color, swap for some washi tape. Either way, these glowing beacons will turn any room from blah to bright.
5. Metallic Wooden Doorknobs: Want a subtle way to add a gilded look to your decor? Upgrade your conventional knobs — on everything from doors to cabinets to drawers — with metallic foil tape. And to really satisfy your thirst to DIY, make an entirely new set of pulls with blocks of geometric wood.
What’s your favorite dose of vitamin DIY from Design Milk? Share with us below!