30 DIY Sharpie Projects You Have to Try
You’re about to be drawn into the world of everyone’s favorite permanent marker: Sharpies! And what’s not to love about ‘em? From the variety of bold bright colors to the nearly hundreds of ways to use them to make your world a more wonderful place, Sharpies are the go-to instrument for upgrading basics of all kinds. Learn how easy it is to make your mark with the ultimate doodling tool.
1. DIY Basics: Patterned Ceramics: We’ll kick off our roundup with our latest foray into the DIY Sharpie realm: patterned ceramics. Our take on this DIY Basic is punchy, colorful, and as the name suggests, easy to make. This freehanded dash technique would look great on any piece of dishware. (via Brit + Co.)
2. Painted Rhinestone Necklace: You guessed it: we’re straight up obsessed with this necklace. This blogger used a Sharpie to stain clear rhinestones a stunning shade of lime green, while spray paint turned the last three rows of gems opaque. It would make the perfect accent to your holiday dress. (via Swellmayde)
3. Hole Reinforcement Envelope Liners: If you’re sending out a stack of customized holiday cards this year, then you most certainly should give this Sharpie DIY a try. Why shovel out extra money for liners when you can add brightly colored hole reinforcers to each envelope? We just love the surprising pop of color. (via Blog a la Cart)
4. Painted Saddle Shoes: We’re smitten with this cute shoe hack that uses black Sharpie to transform a pair of plain white kicks into a sporty saddle shoe. Put a modern spin on this pair by rocking them with colored tights and black high-waisted shorts. (via Dream a Little Bigger)
6. Herringbone Lamp: First of all, this modern color pop cord lamp is a DIY lamp (mind—blown!). Second, homegirl Mandi has an impeccable eye for what could possibly make it any more amazing, and that’s a herringbone pattern with a white oil-based Sharpie. Thirdly, she crafted this lamp for charity. All we have to say is, you go girl! (via Homes.com)
9. Gold Sharpie Table Edging: Here’s another beyond basic home hack that makes all the difference! Fill indented detailing on furniture—in this case, an entryway table—with gold Sharpie to make it pop. (via Dream Green DIY)
10. Sharpie Nail Art: We’re obsessed with nail art here at Brit + Co., so we were stoked to find this awesome tutorial that uses Sharpies to add on delicate details. Whether you go for gold French tips or dainty dots, you know you can rely on this technique for holiday-ready digits. (via Yes Missy)
11. Easy Painted Leather Wallet: What’s more luxe than a leather wallet? Why, a leather wallet with gilded details, of course! Sharpie on the design of your choosing, though you can’t go wrong with the stripe-chevron combo you see here. (via …love Maegan)
12. Geometric Wall Art: We’re going ga-ga for this colorful wall art made with one of the coolest Sharpie techniques we’ve ever seen: mix at least two colors of permanent marker with rubbing alcohol on fabric to create this gorgeous watercolor-like effect. (via Curbly)
13. Easy Sharpie Plate DIY: Since there are, like, a million ceramic Sharpie tutorials online, we had to be selective with our picks that use the marker to upgrade basic dishware. This one made the cut because, while the impact is huge (we’re suckers for all things geometric), the DIY takes mere minutes to do. (via Invisible Crown)
14. Gold Staples: Obsessed with all things gold? Then don’t let something as simple as staples bum you out. Upgrade your metal DIY-style by painting them gold with, you guessed it, a metallic Sharpie! (via House of Huntley)
15. DIY Pencil Cup: This is another Sharpied ceramic that we just couldn’t pass up. Reason being, we love the restraint this blogger shows with her black and white design, proving that less can be more even in the crazy colorful world of Sharpies. (via Lovely Indeed)
16. Watercolor-Inspired Throw Pillows: Speaking of color, you get nothing but with these bold Sharpie-fied throw pillows. Droplets of rubbing alcohol make the colors of these graphic designs blend to soften their edges ever so beautifully. (via Brit + Co.)
17. Sharpie Beaded Necklace: Is the bead store a snooze fest? Never fear! Give your plain beads an ombre-like finish with Sharpies. We can’t get over how beautifully blended each bead looks. (via Our Designed Life)
18. Movember Sharpie Mugs: Since we’re in the middle of Movember, we felt compelled to included these mustachioed mugs into the mix. This DIY just begs the goofy question, which ‘stache would you sip from? (via P.S. Heart)
19. No-Carve Sugar Skull Pumpkins: Here’s another seasonal Sharpie project for you: no-carve pumpkins! Even if you’re done decorating pumpkins for the year, you can certainly try this technique on gourds, squash, or even pomegranates as you turn them into stunning Thanksgiving centerpieces.
21. Raining Cats and Dogs Umbrella DIY: We’re head over heels for this whimsical Sharpie DIY that shows you how to doodle tumbling cats and dogs on the inside of a clear umbrella. It’s sure to keep you smiling rain or shine :) (via Paper, Plate, and Plane)
22. Hand-drawn Gift Wrap: Think of plain gift wrap as an ugly duckling who can go from awkward to swan-levels of awesome in seconds with hand drawn shapes in metallic Sharpie. We’ll add this to our list of beautiful gift wrap! (via Minieco)
23. The Sharpie Rug: Ladies and gentlemen, we give you the Sharpie rug. We love this rags to riches DIY that turns a stained sisal rug into a dazzling statement piece that even we’d rock at Brit HQ! (via A Nest for All Seasons)
25. Snakeskin Print Sharpie Shirt: No, this super trendy snakeskin tank didn’t come from H&M—it was the handy work of one of our fave bloggers …love Maegan! You’ll never guess how she used Sharpies to make this seriously stylish shirt. (via …love Maegan)
26. Cheetah Print Sharpie Chair Covers: We been dreaming of owning a glamorous set of cheetah print chairs, and now we can make that a reality on the cheap! Get the super chic look by scribbling dots to cover this white IKEA chair slip. (via Little Green Notebook)
27. Christmas Ornaments: Here’s a Sharpie DIY to try with this kiddos as you’re decorating your tree. While we’d never steer you clear of a polka dot pattern, we recommend you try your hand at something more festive, like this stenciled snowflake design. (via The 36th Avenue)
28. His + Hers Mugs: These personalized coffee mugs are too cute! They’d make the most amazing Christmas present for newlyweds along with a pound of coffee for him and a box of tea for her! (via A Beautiful Mess)
29. Sharpie-Embellished Dishes: In our final pick for DIY Sharpie ceramics, feast your eyes on these lovely outlined dishes. We love that this blogger worked with the edges of the vessels, which highlights the unique shapes of the dishes even more. (via By Stephanie Lynn)
30. Sharpie Wallpaper: We’ll end on a truly wow-worthy DIY: Sharpie wallpaper (believe it!). This small space makeover takes a steady hand and patience, but is so freaking worth it. (via Vintage Revivals)
Have you ever used Sharpies in your DIY projects? What have you made? Tell us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)