23 Modern + Rustic DIY Decor Ideas for the Cancer Zodiac
If you’re one of the lucky Cancerian babes whose birthday falls between June 21 – July 22, keep reading to find out how you can upgrade your home with DIY decor ideas based on your zodiac. Known for having strong ties to home, the Cancer zodiac is a sucker for anything sentimental. That explains their affinity for a cozy, lived-in rustic aesthetic. To inspire your next home project, we’ve rounded up 23 of the best DIY decor ideas catered to your Moon-ruled sign for a beautiful modern-meets-rustic home. Scroll down for ideas on how to add a little star-inspired decor to your home this month.
1. DIY Modern Birch Bark Table Lamp: This birch bark table lamp DIY will bring serious modern-meets-rustic vibes to your Cancer home. Don’t worry if the rest of your home doesn’t quite fit the rustic mold — this styled space is the perfect example as to how versatile your table lamp will be. Stick to a sleek rectangular lamp base for a more modern feel. (via Dream Green DIY / eHow)
2. DIY Woven Leather Bench: This beautiful DIY woven leather bench is the perfect complement to any living space, whether you choose to display it in your entryway or at the foot of your bed. Opt for a similar caramel-colored leather seat + light wood combo for a look that utilizes rustic elements with a brighter contemporary flair. (via A Beautiful Mess)
3. DIY Live Edge Walnut Bench: Though made of wood, this DIY walnut bench is the epitome of sleek and refined. Achieve a similar glossy finish by sanding down all sides before applying two coats of polyurethane to the wood. Once it’s all set, you can up the cozy factor with a comfy pillow or faux fur throw. (via Francois et Moi)
4. DIY Repurposed Suitcase Holder: Create an easy-to-store multipurpose side table using a vintage suitcase holder. With leather, decor tacks and white spray paint you can make a rustic chic side table of your own. (via Farm Fresh Therapy)
5. DIY Leather + Burlap Fringe Coasters: Take on this fun and easy sewing project to create a few fab kitchen essentials. Faux leather and burlap-made fringe come together to create these one-of-a-kind coasters. (via Mama In a Stitch)
6. DIY Hoop Wall Decor: If you’re renting your space, it can be pretty tough finding the right wall decor without compromising your wall’s integrity. For an easy and inexpensive project that won’t affect your walls while sprucing them up, consider this DIY wall art idea. To make, you’ll need a hula hoop (easily found at the dollar store), black + white satin ribbons and copper washi tape. (via Drawn to DIY)
7. Gold Color Block Cement Planter: A plain rustic cement planter gets a fancy upgrade thanks to a splash of modern gold paint. Use painter’s tape to achieve this clean + precise finish. (via Simply Designing)
8. DIY Upcycled Leather Catchall Tray: For a masculine take on the rustic style, try this DIY catchall tray made of scraps from an old leather wallet. Although it’s made of genuine leather, you’ll be saving serious bucks with this project thanks to a simple trip to your local thrift store. (via Make and Do Crew)
9. DIY Library Book Storage: As a sensitive and sometimes private soul, Cancers may occasionally rely on the company of books, which result in them having a surplus in need of efficient storage control. If that’s you, consider turning a plain crate into a cute storage book box using a stain and graphic words. (via Refashionably Late)
10. DIY Copper Pipe and Wood Slice Table: This project calls for wood slices and copper pipes and is customizable to your preferences. If you can’t find wood slices, swap them out for plywood rounds. If you want a more industrial look, swap out the copper pipes for steel ones. The possibilities of this modern-rustic wood + metal combo are endless! (via DIY in PDX)
11. Two-Toned Dining Room Credenza: Thankfully you don’t need to be a furniture expert to take on this DIY. Give an old mid-century credenza a modern makeover with white chalk paint + protective clear coat, two-tone hairpin legs and leather pulls. Though small, the leather detail gives this credenza a rustic feel while maintaining its sleek modern appeal. (via Houseologie)
12. DIY Leather Handles on Boxes: Upcycle a thrifted leather belt to create a fancy handle for these plain boxes. The touch of leather gives a nod to the rustic style while its white color block style offers up a refreshing minimalist finish. (via Shrimp Salad Circus)
13. DIY Wood + Copper Blanket Ladder: As a Cancer, it’s no secret you’re drawn to a variety of plush blankets and throws. Now you can organize your ever-growing cozy collection with this DIY blanket ladder made of wood dowels and copper fixtures. (via Foxtail + Moss)
14. DIY Filing Cabinet Makeover: Transform an old cabinet into a charming home essential with a fresh coat of paint and vinyl arrows. Get the look by applying vinyl arrows to your cabinet, applying two coats of paint, then removing the vinyl arrows. The finished look should be as cute and homey as the madeover cabinet above! (via Thistlewood Farms)
15. DIY Tassel Fringe Rug: Tassels are about one of the easiest ways to add visual interest and texture to a given space. With the help of crochet yarn, you can have your own stylish chunky tasseled rug at a fraction of the cost of a store-bought one! (via Earnest Home Co.)
16. DIY Wood + Hairpin Leg Lap Desk: Now you can work without leaving the cozy comfort of your bed, thanks to this DIY leg lap desk. Simply sand the edges of a wooden plank and attach hairpin legs using a drill and screws. (via The Merrythought)
17. DIY Nailed Edge Floating Shelf: Cancers are notoriously *big* collectors of photographs and trinkets. If you’ve got a growing collection, make sure you don’t run out of wall space with this stylish and practical DIY floating shelf. (via Lotts & Lots)
18. DIY Quilted Pillow Cover: This colorful + comfy quilted pillow cover combines elements of pastoral and contemporary guaranteed to win over your Cancer sign. Made of granny square fabric, lining fabric and canvas fabric, this DIY is practically begging you to put your sewing skills to the test. (via See Kate Sew)
19. DIY Tribal Pattern Cushion: Give the traditionally rustic arrow print a modern twist with this minimal patterned cushion. It’s muted enough to complement your pre-existing decor while still livening up any space. (via Passion Shake)
20. DIY Pennant Wall Art: Rustic with Scandinavian/Nordic elements, this DIY pennant wall art is just what’s needed to spruce up those bare walls. Their simple monochromatic style gives them a timelessness you can rock year-round. (via Wonderwood)
21. DIY Rustic Wall Hanging: Bring a much welcomed cozy element to your Cancer home with this DIY woven tapestry. To make, you’ll need a stick, yarn, wooden beads, copper wire and a pair of scissors. Though these instructions are in Norwegian, you can use Google Chrome’s browser to auto translate! (via Wonderwood)
22. DIY Two-Tone Engraved Tray: Brighten up your space with this functional two-tone engraved tray. Not only will you keep your cluttered knick knacks organized but the unique color + engravings will add visual interest to the room. (via Domicile 37)
23. DIY Footed Wood Slice Tray: Elevate your favorite candle or plant to visually stand out from your other decor with this DIY footed wood slice tray. Paired with gold legs, this wood slice tray is sure to add a warm homey touch to your space. (via Craftberry Bush)
Looking for more ways to upgrade your Cancer style? Follow us on Pinterest for more beautiful + creative zodiac-inspired decor!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)