5 Ways to Hack Your Office Dress for a Holiday Party like Michelle Obama
With the White House decked out in maker-made decorations this holiday season, Michelle Obama has elected to stay very on theme with her latest style choice. On Friday night, at a summit for travel bloggers set to highlight the Study Abroad and Global Citizenship program, the First Lady added a little extra something to her dress that turned the stately fit-and-flare into a full-fledged party frock: a crinoline petticoat. Look closely at Mrs. Obama’s hemline in this photo snapped by WWD, and you can see the black tulle slip adding ample volume to her A-line skirt while giving her overall look a more fun, playful feel. Judging by her + President Obama’s smiles, it’s a style hack that fit right in with the evening’s events.
While the style DIY was nothing less than presidential, it doesn’t mean you have to be a West Wing resident in order to transform your work dress into holiday party material. Here, we’re showing you how to pull off the Michelle Obama-approved style hack, plus four more ways to turn heads in a classic 9-to-5 uniform.
1. Kate Spade Saturday Sleeveless Peplum Dress ($160) + Can’t Stop Dancing Half Slip in Black ($29): We’ll start with the style pairing that inspired it all — a fit-and-flare dress with a vintage-style slip. The A-line cut is key here: you want the skirt to cinch at the waist so that the petticoat can do its job of adding volume to all the right places (read: giving you that covetable hourglass shape).
2. Ann Taylor Ponte Zipper Pocket Shift Dress ($139) + Marques’ Almedia x Topshop ***Neat Sheepskin Stole ($196): Playing with color and texture are some of the easiest ways to turn a weekday dress into a special occasion ensemble. In this case, the atlas blue shift isn’t a pop of color enough on its own. Slink on this super soft sheepskin stole in fluorescent lime to turn up the glam (way up!).
3. Madewell the Anywhere Dress in Tweed ($138) + Forever21 Chain Fringe Bib ($13): The contrasting leather collar already brings your attention straight to the neckline of this structured cotton dress, so why not play up that focus come your holiday happy hour? A chain fringe choker will add just the right amount of party-girl edge without taking it over-the-top.
4. Zara Round Neck Dress ($80) + Amber Sceats Druzy Body Chain ($200): Think of a plain, long-sleeved shift dress as the perfect canvas on which to execute a wow-worthy makeover. This season’s foolproof way to pull that off? Slip into a body chain that makes the fabric-heavy frock seem instantly delicate.
5. Violeta by Mango Cowl Neck Dress ($110) + Urban Outfitters Sheer Shimmer Tights ($24): Give your office LBD some mistletoe-style love by pairing the wear-with-anything piece with statement making tights. These ultra shimmery silver stockings bring the glitz — run with it by wearing silver pumps too.
What style hacks have you employed to get extra mileage out of your work dresses? Tell us about the DIYs you do to get holiday party-ready in the comments below.