Fancy 5-Minute Updos for Moms Who Don’t Have a Minute to Spare
Chris Appleton knows a thing or two about time-strapped mothers. The celebrity hairstylist works with some of the busiest celeb moms in the biz: Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Lopez. But you don’t have to employ a glam squad to have access to his genius hair tricks. The Color Wow Creative Director shared two fancy updo how-tos that take five minutes to achieve. Yes, really. Lock yourself in the bathroom, grab those bobby pins, and get to work.
1. Tease the top section of your hair at the roots for volume. No teasing brush? No problem. Appleton prefers Color Wow Style on Steroids ($24) for a boost and grip. “After spraying on each section, massage in the product with your hands,” he advises.
2. Create an anchor braid with a small section of hair in the middle of the nape of your neck. Then pin it along the nape.
3. Gather the rest of your hair in a low braid that starts at the nape of the neck, leaving front sections out.
4. Push the tail of the braid in and under, using the pins to secure to your anchor. The tail should be pointing up and in. “I prefer Japanese pins because they’re stronger than traditional bobby pins,” he says (Brit + Co Pick: Meta Grip Premium Bob Pins ($4))
5. Loosely curl the front pieces of your hair to avoid looking too done. Secure in place with hairspray.
1. Tease the top and side sections of your hair, spraying with a texturizer as needed. “You need to have volume and grip to help give the chignon shape and keep it in place,” Appleton advises.
2. Make a deep part and, using your fingers, create the shape that you want.3. In the back, bring one side of the hair to the other and pin in place.
4. On the other side, wrap the hair, pinning in place as you go. “Make a U-turn with the pin, where you push in and pull back,” he says.
5. Pinch pieces around the frame of your face to loosen the strands. “This keeps it dreamy and modern and not old-looking,” Appleton shares.
6. Fill in any sparse spots (and cover gray hairs) along the part with Color Wow Root Cover Up ($35).
7. Add accessories (if you’d like).
There you go! Fancy in five-minutes flat.
Show us your five-minute hairstyles and tag @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos by Demi Ward)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)