It’s almost time to get out your stars and stripes — 4th of July is just around the corner! Along with red, white and blue attire (like our bleach-stamped tank and our stars and stripes headband), we think it’s imperative to add gold to the mix (no surprise there!). So today we’re going to make some Independence Day leggings with gold foil stars. Not only are these perfect for the 4th, but they will also come in handy for Halloween or even your next yoga class :)
– gold foil
– gold foil glue
– plastic folder
– parchment paper
– foam brush
– X-ACTO knife
– cutting mat
Or get the foil and glue in our Sugar and Cloth Tote Kit!
- Draw and cut out a star from your plastic folder using an X-ACTO knife. Remember this is going to be a stencil, so make sure the plastic around the star is intact.
- Place your stencil on your leggings and paint a thin layer of gold foil glue. Be careful not to get the glue under the stencil or you’ll end up with a blob rather than a star.
- Remove the stencil and add a layer of gold foil. Place a piece of parchment paper on top and iron your star on medium heat.
- Peel away the excess gold.
- Continue adding stars to your heart’s content.
First, make a stencil. We got a plastic folder (one a kid might use in primary school) and cut it to create our stencil. It worked magically! We will definitely be using this trick again. Draw a star on the plastic and then cut it out with an X-ACTO knife. Make sure you slice clean lines and keep the plastic around the star looking decent.
Place your new stencil on top of your leggings and then add a thin layer of foil glue using your foam brush. Press the stencil down firmly to avoid getting the glue underneath. Otherwise you’ll wind up with a shape that resembles a splotch instead of a star. Too much glue will also result in a misshapen star.
Put a small piece of gold foil on top of the glue. Layer a piece of parchment paper on top and then iron the foil on medium heat. Press firmly, keeping the iron on the star for about thirty seconds. Peel the excess gold foil away from the leggings to reveal your star.
Repeat this process until you have all the stars you want. We only added stars to the bottom of one leg, but you could cover these babies in stars.
Pair your new Independence Day leggings with a red shirt and head to the fireworks show!
What are you wearing for the 4th of July? Share your style tips with us in the comments!