Joanna Vargas Reveals Skincare Tips to Transition Your Skin from Winter to Spring
As winter chills turn to springtime thrills, we’re talking about the dryness, stinging, and overall fragility that comes when cold weather starts to thaw out.
Celebrity esthetician and skincare line founder Joanna Vargas breaks it down for us, explaining, “It’s obvious that going outside into the cold, brisk air can be drying, but even worse for your skin is the dry, overheated indoor environment that you sleep and work in.” Yikes! Below, the celebrity skin expert reveals exactly how to save your skin this season.
1. Buy a humidifier. A humidifier is one beauty tool you’ll want to invest in this season. “Sleep with a humidifier in your bedroom. It will add just enough moisture to the environment to give your skin the chance to do some real healing,” Vargas says. “For those who are afraid of the bacteria that sometimes can accumulate in a humidifier, you can even get a little one that attaches to a mini water bottle. So don’t let that [fear] stop you from doing what’s best for your health!” Brit + Co Pick: Satechi USB Portable Humidifier ($30)
2. Apply a serum and cream in the morning and at night. Don’t be a minimalist when it comes to your products. “Product-wise, I always recommend combining a serum and a cream for both night and day. It will give everyone an extra layer of moisture and protection against the dryness,” Vargas says. Brit + Co Pick: Joanna Vargas Daily Serum ($85) and Joanna Vargas Daily Hydrating Cream ($75)
3. Delicate skin areas need extra care. Pay extra attention to dry, delicate, and fragile areas — like your eyes. “Skin needs more TLC during the fall/winter because the transition from humid to cold weather can be extremely drying. Dry skin is so fragile, and you have to do more to protect your lipid layer,” she says. “I suggest adding a day cream to your routine that contains soothing Shea and cocoa butter — they melt at body temperature so they go right into the skin and stay there all day, so you don’t end up feeling dry halfway through the day.” Brit + Co Pick: Joanna Vargas Revitalizing Eye Cream ($75)
4. Consider a skin superfood. Vargas suggests incorporating avocado oil into your wintertime regimen for extra nourishment. “Another great ingredient to look for is avocado oil. It contains so many amazing vitamins for the skin and lymphatic system, so it will de-puff, hydrate, and soothe the skin,” she says. In other words, allow yourself the extra side of guac at Chipotle. Get the recipes for her DIY avocado face masks here. (Photo via Brit + Co)
5. Treat your skin overnight. Get extra skin benefits with overnight treatments. “My own rejuvenating serum is the perfect serum to sleep in. It repairs the skin, and because the formula contains jojoba oil, it’s great for all skin types — even oily skin. This serum will help to soften sun damage from the summer and make all those fine lines disappear,”she says. Brit + Co Pick: Joanna Vargas Rejuvenating Serum ($100)
6. Undo summer sun damage. Reverse sun damage from the summer months with an LED treatment. “I would recommend my LED Light Bed to correct sun damage,” says Vargas. “LED light therapy is a proven technology to build collagen and correct sun damage at the surface of the skin. It reduces inflammation, sun damage, fine lines, and wrinkles. I recommend that people do one session a week when they start out, for six weeks.” Brit + Co Pick: LED Light Therapy Bed ($225/30 minute session)
7. Avoid “too hot” showers. Take lukewarm — instead of steaming hot — showers. “Extreme temperatures of any kind on the skin can throw off its delicate balance. This can lead to dry patches and uncomfortable dehydrated skin,” Vargas says. “Shower with lukewarm water. Your skin will thank you by staying smooth and hydrated all winter long.” Brit + Co Pick: Delta Universal Showering Temp20 Shower Head ($85)
8. Apply lotion right after showering. “During winter, I always recommend that one apply lotion to the body while damp from the shower to really lock in moisture,” she says. Brit + Co Pick: Acubest Oil & Lotion Warmer ($39)
What are your favorite cold-weather skincare tips? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Into the Gloss)