The It Girl’s Guide to Pulling Off Ankle Boots in Summer
When it comes to warm weather footwear, strappy sandals, sleek slides, and candy-colored mules rule supreme. Whether you’re headed to the beach or hitting up a farmers’ market, the footloose feel of these kicks makes them a no-brainer for all of your summer shenanigans. But a new trend is taking shape on Insta, one that just might inspire you to leave your go-to pair of sandals behind. Celebs and blogger babes everywhere have been trading out gladiators and French-girl espadrilles in favor of last season’s ankle boots. The reason? The sleek steppers can instantly dial up the drama of even the most panache-packed pieces. Intrigued? Let the 14 Instababes below show you how it’s done.
1. Back to Basics: Leave it to It girl Olivia Culpo to make a tried-and-true denim shorts and t-shirt combo feel like a total revelation. White ankle boots usher the fuss-free look straight into trendsetter territory.
2. Classy Commando: Blogger Rebecca Laurey is a pro at piecing together ensembles that strike the ultimate balance of feminine elegance and downtown edge. The proof: this don’t-mess getup that sees a playful maxi dress pair seamlessly with tough-girl combat boots FTW.
3. All Trenched Up: Lookin’ good, Grasie. The actress and blogger pulled off a mod, summery look styling a snazzy trench sundress with white-hot ankle boots and sleek, oversized shades.
4. Metallic Muse: Take it from Instababe Amy Bell: Teaming a pair of after-hours-approved ankle boots with a frill-flecked dress is a surefire way to sass up your #OOTD in two seconds flat.
5. Festival Feels: Strappy sandals may rule supreme when the warm weather rolls around, but pointed-toe ankle boots give new life to this festival-ready matching set for Thrift and Threads blogger Brittany Xavier. The kickass steppers ground the look and establish a sense of balance that sandals and sneakers simply couldn’t provide.
6. Cali Cool: For a look that screams West Coast cool, take style cues from Julie Sariñana. Simple suede boots bring a touch of desert chic panache to a playful double denim getup, while a classic saddle bag and throwback glasses add a punch of polish.
7. Lovely Laces: Sun’s out, shoulders out. You can count on this dreamboat combo a la Jill Wallace of little black boots to take you from front stage to rooftop soirees sans problem.
8. Matchy Matchy: While sweater sets can feel like a bit much, we’re diggin’ this idea from stylist Chloe Hill. Grab a bold and bright summer dress and proceed to pair with equally as eye-catching boots for an impactful look that will do your #OOTD following proud.
9. All White Everything: So fresh. There’s nothing quite like an all-white ensemble once the warm weather hits, and Nina Schwichtenberg totally gets it. The blogger’s Balenciaga boots are straight-up fire, giving the outfit the oomph it needs to stand out. (Photo via @fashiioncarpet)
10. Skirt the Issue: A feminine midi skirt and an off-the-shoulder top are all you need for a dreamy date night by the sea. Balance out those undeniable Grace Kelly vibes like Pamela Allier with your trendiest pair of booties for a punch of RN flava.
11. Easy Breezy: Beach babe takes on the big city courtesy of Bay Area blogger Missminussized. Grab a fabulously flowy maxi, a sleek belt, and comfy pair of ankle boots for an effortless look that will keep you cool as you pound the pavement. Up the sartorial ante by tossing on some oversized shades and draping a structured jacket over your shoulders.
12. Retro Chic: Forget the ’70s — channel old world charm with a retro button-front frock and a prim-and-proper pair of lace-up booties with a little inspo from Sophia Rosemary Barrese. Throw a top-handle satchel and a berry lip into the mix to dial up the drama.
13. Work in Progress: Staying cool at the office is no easy feat (just ask influencer Linda Tol), but ankle boots can help give summertime essentials a more polished, business-ready feel. Pop on a sleek set with an A-line skirt, silk tank, and smart jacket to send those boss-lady vibes into overdrive (and win a few extra style points with HR).
14. Bohemian Dream: Get outside of your comfort zone this summer by rounding out a fancy lady getup like this stunner from Natalie Off Duty’s Natalie Lim Suarez with leather ankle boots and an arsenal of architectural accessories. Don’t be surprised if your buds dedicate a toast to your impeccable sense of style.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!