There are plenty of reasons to get excited about Sunday night’s 88th Annual Academy Awards (maybe former teen heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio will even snag a statue this year), but personally, we can’t wait to see all of the celebrity Oscar selfies and breathtaking red carpet style. The Oscars are the epitome of awards season, and it’s the one time of year when there really is no such thing as being too dressed up. Watching the red carpet will be like having a front row seat at the most star-studded fashion show on the planet, and we can’t help but daydream about what our favorite actresses will wear. There’s no way to know for sure until the big day, but taking a peek at their Oscars style evolution offers up some clues.
1. Jennifer Lawrence: 2013 was JLaw’s year! Forget the (in)famous stumble — her strapless gown won the show with its standout full skirt. It was so glamorous, in fact, it didn’t need any accessorizing at all, except for a cute silver clutch. Fast forward to 2014 and the talented young star opted for a simpler silhouette. The bright red color looked amazing on her, and we loved the delicate chain and windswept hair. Is an even more mature look in store for this year? (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Lupita Nyong’o: A true fashion icon, Lupita is always one of the most exciting stars on the red carpet. Her powder blue dress from 2014 was fit for a fairytale, and we thank her for teaching us how to make headbands look so chic! Outdoing herself last year, the 31-year-old took our breath away with a pearl bodice that must have been extremely heavy, but was totally worth it. We have no idea how she’ll top it! (Photo via Frazer Harrison + Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Angelina Jolie: We’ve lost count of all of Angie’s big fashion moments, but 2012 certainly gave us one of her most memorable looks to date. No one will ever forget THAT LEG. You know, the one that launched a hundred memes! Rather than choosing something even more extravagant in 2014, she opted for understated glamour with a gold gown and nude makeup, so we think daring Angelina might be back this Sunday. (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty + Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Cate Blanchett: Always chic, the Australian actress chose a feminine gown in a pretty nude tone, complete with high neckline and plenty of embellishment, to accept her 2014 Oscar for Blue Jasmine. Last year, she upped the ante with a simple black dress and bold turquoise necklace that brought out the color of her eyes like a dream. Fingers crossed for more statement jewelry this time around. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
5. Lady Gaga: Known for her over-the-top style, Gaga traded in her meat dress for a delicate pink and gold number in 2014. The following year, she surprised once again with a stunning beaded dress that delivered volume for days. We loved the bright red gloves as an ode to the Gaga of yesteryear, and we can’t wait to see how she’ll shock us on Sunday. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Kate Winslet: Nominated for her seventh Academy Award, Winslet is bound to pull out all the stops. A bonafide pro, she arrived in a multi-fabric, one-shoulder dress in 2009, pairing it with a diamond bangle and chunky earrings. Keeping the statement bracelet and swapping the earrings for an oversized necklace, Winslet played with texture once more in 2010, choosing a silver corset top, white skirt and matching two-tone clutch. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Charlize Theron: The first-ever South African to win an Academy Award (she took home the 2003 Best Actress award for Monster), Theron is no stranger to the Oscars red carpet. Her passion for simple lines is evident in both 2013’s white strapless gown with peplum detail and 2014’s black mermaid dress with invisible straps. Can we talk about what a bombshell she is?! (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Julianne Moore: Between 2010 and 2015, we witnessed a real evolution in Moore’s red carpet style, so she’s likely to rock the boat again this year. Whereas she kept things sleek with a shimmery gold dress and an effortless hairstyle at the earlier ceremony, she embraced haute couture glam with an embroidered floral gown last year. The red lips and swept-up hair only added to the drama. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty + Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Jessica Chastain: A fashion chameleon, the star walked the 2013 Oscars red carpet in a super simple strapless gown, but totally channeled her inner vixen in 2015. Deciding to take more of a risk, Jessica confidently rocked a thigh-high slit and dropped scoop neck, which revealed a shimmery halter in navy blue. Where will her style go next? (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
10. Rachel Weisz: The British beauty accepted her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for The Constant Gardener in 2006 wearing an understated black dress, simple strappy sandals and no jewels. Just 12 months later, she chose to give old Hollywood glam a try, impressing with a champagne dress, blinged-out bow brooch, statement necklace and bold red lip. Bravo! (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
Which is your all-time favorite Oscars red carpet look? Tweet us @BritandCo!