10 Ideas to Inspire a Kentucky Derby-Themed Wedding
Can’t make it to Churchill Downs this year for the Kentucky Derby? Then bring a little thoroughbred tradition to your big day! Read on for the Kentucky Derby-inspired wedding ideas that will leave guests feeling like they just won the Triple Crown.
1. Serve a Southern-Inspired Signature Cocktail: Traditionally, attendees at the Kentucky Derby sip on mint juleps (a mix of bourbon, mint and simple syrup) in a pewter cup. While there are several trendy variations (think: blueberry and pineapple), we love the classic version. (via Lover.ly)
2. Give Guests a Taste of Kentucky With a Bourbon Bar: If you’re not into a sweet signature drink, serve up different bourbon brands along with a variety of simple syrups, flavored waters and sodas as mixers. (image via Southern Weddings)
4. Add a Lucky Touch to Your Stationery: Horseshoes are the perfect accent on paper products like escort cards and invitations. (image via Snippet + Ink)
6. Offer Free Pony Rides: Bonus points if you actually have a real pony at your wedding! (image via Snippet + Ink)
9. Earn Your Racing Stripes in the Photo Booth: Provide Derby-themed props and let guests strike a pose. We recommend having jockey helmets, horse ribbons, trophies and red roses available for photos. (image via Paper and Pancakes)
10. Take a Victory Lap: Celebrate the end of your wedding in true Derby style by decorating your getaway car with a lush wreath of roses. You just married your love — that’s a major win, right? (image via Elizabeth Messina)
Got any other Derby Day wedding ideas? Let us know in the comments below!