There was a palpable buzz in the air last night at Lauren Conrad’s debut New York Fashion Week show. Perhaps it was the pink champagne and flowers everywhere, or that Conrad’s closest friends — Lo Bosworth and her business partners/friends Hannah Sklarva and Maura McManus — and family, including her cute hubby William Tell, who brought her pizza pre-show <3, were there at the 300-plus packed presentation. Or maybe it was that many of us have watched Conrad transform from popular California high schooler on Laguna Beach to intern/aspiring designer on The Hills and now a real-life big-time fashion designer and entrepreneur. You could say we were feeling all of the feels, and that’s before the show even started!
When the lights did go down and the music started blaring — “California Dreamin'” by The Mama’s and the Papas — the audience was transplanted to a world of pastels, white lace, velvet and loose braids (including Conrad’s signature crown braid). There was definitely a soft 1970s influence — think The Virgin Suicides — but with a fresh, clean California girl spin that only an OC chick like LC could provide.
Conrad told Brit + Co, “We just wanted to make pieces that were beautiful and would make people feel beautiful.” And that they did. You could tell the models were genuinely having fun as they skipped down the runway in fancy-free dresses, bell sleeves, ruffles and rompers.“This was a definite career high for me. The collection is how I wished I always dressed — from the fringe to lace to tulle!” she gushed. Though Conrad has had her line with Kohl’s for five years, she said this was the first time she was ever asked to show at NYFW. “I was so excited to be asked. It’s something that I’ve come and experienced for years, but I never thought that I would be able to come and be a part of it. It’s a very, very big deal,” she said. It definitely is a big deal, and she proved she earned her spot.
Here are a few of our favorite looks from Lauren Conrad’s NYFW show:
1. Baby Ruffles: The perfect feminine touch to a breezy maxi dress.
2. Breezy Pieces: LC’s take on ’70s draping is light and airy: pretty bell sleeves and drape-y, wide-legged pants that still accentuate your waist.
3. Ombre Dip: A gorgeous way to add a little drama to your dress.
4. Unexpected Velvet: Embroidered velvet shorts? Don’t mind if we do!
5. Dramatic Proportions: We just found our new favorite way to wear skinny jeans: with a flowy tunic as a top (and just like that, you’re a dress-over-pants kind of girl).
6. Colorful Suede: It’s officially time to retire your black leather jacket.
7. Non-Cropped Matching Sets: This is the new power suit: a full-coverage matching set in a dreamy, head-to-toe print.
8. Next-Level LWD: The way to wow in all white.
9. Textured Touches: We just found your 2015 holiday outfit — a fuzzy, textured sweater and shiny sequined skirt give off heavy merry + bright vibes.
10. Tons of Tulle: Let out your inner ballerina, girl.
But wait, there’s more! Everything you just saw (and most likely swooned over) is available to buy online at LCRunway.com and Kohls.com right now for a limited time (select items will also be available in Kohl’s stores through December). Prices range from a budget-friendly $12 to $300, so we expect the collection to sell out fast. Live out the fairytale and nab your favorites now!
What pieces from Lauren Conrad’s NYFW Collection are you obsessed with? Tell us in the comments below.(Photos via Slaven Vlasic/Getty)