If you’re a style chameleon, then you already know there are a million and one ways to put together a foolproof #OOTD. The good news is you need not have Cher Horowitz’s dream closet to do it. With some clever layering and a little outside-the-box thinking, it won’t be long before you’re gearing up for spring with a closet remix. First things first: warm-weather frocks! Whether you’re ready to break out the spring pastel dresses right now or you want to ease into things with subtle layers that can be ditched come afternoon (hello, trusty bomber jacket), we’ve got the pairing for you. Equipped with an arsenal of wear-with-everything closet basics — like blouses, lightweight knits and even plain ol’ tees — you’ll be ah-mazed at how many spring dress combinations you can come up with. See 11 of our favorite ways to up your layering game this season.
1. Tibi Bella Floral Handkerchief Dress ($695) + H&M Knit Sweater ($50): For a festival-going look that’s right in line with your bohemian sensibilities, just do less. Seriously. Breathe new life into a maxi dress by throwing a slouchy or cropped knit sweater into the mix. Add a vintage saddle bag and some free-wheelin’ slides.
2. H&M Jersey Top ($10) + Zara Multicolored Crochet Dress ($60): Come vacay time, you’ll be itching for beach-y dresses that can be tossed over a bikini or layered over a plain white tee for more coverage (because sometimes a cover-up just isn’t enough). Enter the sporty multi-colored dress of your dreams that’ll take you from poolside chilling to grabbing drinks on the veranda just like that. Don’t forget a floppy hat and some metallic Birks to solidify your beach bum status.
3. Talula Edo Jacket ($98) + Mango Floral Print Dress ($60): Be it the first baseball game of the season, a double date or a weekend road trip, it doesn’t get more all-American than this girl-next-door pairing. Find the perfect floral springtime frock, then wear it all season long with a cropped denim jacket that’s daytime casual at its best.
4. Topshop Satin Bomber Jacket by Boutique ($240) + Mango Flecked Cotton-Blend Dress ($40): Sporty vibes reign supreme this spring thanks to versatile athleisure staples, like a tough-girl bomber jacket and a non-fussy t-shirt dress that will always do you right. Take note: A knee-grazing cotton-blend dress paired with a satin bomber jacket is totally glam, yet still low-key enough for a day of running errands. No need to be a layering whiz to pull off this minimalist look — all that’s missing is a pair of street-inspired kicks.
5. Madewell Cotton-Chambray Shirt ($70) + French Connection Miami Graffiti Organza Dress ($288): Have a chambray shirt? Layer it underneath a playful shift dress to keep chilly temps at bay. Taking you from desk to drinks, this scene-stealing combo will make you look (and feel) super put-together and ready to tackle the day ahead of you. Throw in some punchy heeled sandals and a statement necklace for Jenna Lyons-esque styling.
6. Just Female Violet Roll Neck ($120) + French Connection Sundae Suiting Dress ($198): Channel your inner Alexa Chung with this Parisian-chic combo you can rock with your favorite ankle booties or two-tone loafers. Simply layer a black pinafore dress over a striped turtleneck for a boardroom-ready look that can double for happy hour. It’s that easy.
7. Wilfred Free Vivienne Dress ($85) + H&M Sweatshirt With Zip ($25): Calling all lazy girls! Wardrobe conundrums simply don’t exist when you have a stylish duo this simple and streamlined on standby. Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with a casual slip dress and an everyday gray sweatshirt that can take you from an early morning walk to a balmy afternoon in the park. Just add some white sneaks for a laid-back look you can wear all spring (and beyond).
8. H&M Long Shirt Dress ($30) + Madewell High Riser Skinny Jeans ($130): When you’ve exhausted the whole jeans-and-a-tee look (been there, done that), take things up a notch by tossing a sheer printed shirtdress over some black high-waisted skinny jeans. It’s an easy style hack that requires zero effort. For a rocker ‘tude, a bold red lip and pointed-toe mule flats are obligatory.
9. J.Crew Ruffled Button-Up Shirt in Stripe ($88) + H&M Sleeveless Dress ($50): On any day of the week, nothing makes a more lasting first impression than a button-down shirt layered underneath a sleeveless shift dress. In lieu of chambray, which takes on a more casual tone, opt for menswear-inspired stripes for a polished schoolgirl look.
10. Wilfred Free Tolstoi Knit Top ($125) + Golden by TNA Edge Dress ($95): It’s officially time to start thinking about your lineup of Coachella-bound getups. For your own unique spin on festival fashion, layer a sleeveless knit top over an easy-breezy lace dress. (Be sure to size up in the sweater for an effortless fit.) Then, finish off your look with fringed OTK boots and a flower crown to match.
11. Topshop Shawl Collar Sleeveless Jacket ($85) + Madewell Checked Twill Shirt Dress ($100): Can you say new weekend uniform? Say bye-bye to your track suits and sweats and hello to a cool girl-approved gingham shirtdress. This outfit can be dressed up or down with just the right layers. A cross between your go-to field jacket and boyfriend blazer, a utilitarian vest will straight-up slay no matter how you style it.
What’s your go-to layering hack for spring dresses? Follow us on Pinterest for more outfit inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.