How to Make Tea Like an Adult
Maybe dipping a generic teabag into a cup of hot water was sufficient when you were in high school, but now that you’re getting a little older, it’s time to make tea like a real adult. It’s just one of those things you should know how to do before you turn 25. Here’s a handy how-to guide to help you make the most flavorful tea possible.
Buy the Right Materials
Buying high-quality tea bags is a no-brainer, but there are a few other options as well. The finest tea leaves usually come in loose leaf form, which means you’ll get total control over how much tea to use and how strong you’d like your cup to be.
So here are your options: You could go the route of buying a traditional tea pot. A dedicated pot has a small filter enclosure where you’ll place loose-leaf tea prior to pouring in a designated amount of hot water. You could also go the route of making your own tea bags with muslin cloth.
Either way, you’ll need the loose leaf variety of your choice, a pot with a built-in filter, or DIY bags. As an alternative, you can simply put your leaves into a cup, pour water on top, allow it to steep, and then strain the mixture through a muslin cloth.
Know Your Tea Types
Get familiar with the different types of tea at your disposal. Teas tend to fall into the following categories:
- Oolong tea comes from the leaves of the Camelia sinsensis plant. Some of its variants include Tie Guan Yin (Iron Goddess), Dan Cong, and Ali Shan.
- Black tea types are often the strongest, most caffeinated. A few examples include Earl Grey, Masala Chai, and Darjeerling tea.
- White tea is made from the unopened buds of tea leaves, which is why this distinctive type of tea has such a gentle flavor. Some popular white tea types include White Peony, Silver Needle, and Eyebrow White tea.
- Green tea is famed for its health benefits, thanks to its high antioxidant content. If you love green tea, you’ll probably have heard of Matcha, Sencha, and Gyokuro teas.
- Herbal teas are basically just water steeped with various types of herbs, rather than containing traditional tea leaves. Think peppermint, dandelion, chamomile, and ginger-turmeric teas.
- Yellow teas are very rare, and hail from the Anhui, Sichuan, Zhejiang, and Hunan provinces in China. The most popular type of yellow tea is the Jun Shan Silver Needle.
Steep It Properly
When you steep your tea, don’t, under *any* circumstances, simply leave the leaves in as you sip. Start by boiling cold water over the stove in a tea kettle, or at the very least, a pot (don’t just warm it up in the microwave). After the water is hot, pour it into your cup over the tea leaves. Then, allow it to steep for the proper amount of time — and be sure to use the right ratio of water to tea.
- Oolong: Steep 0.5 teaspoon per cup for 3-6 minutes.
- Black tea: Steep 0.5 teaspoon per cup for 3 minutes.
- Green tea: Steep 1 teaspoon per cup for 3-4 minutes.
- White tea: Steep 1 teaspoon per cup for 7-9 minutes.
- Yellow tea: Steep 1 teaspoon per cup for 3 minutes.
Consider Making Blends
Once you have the process down, you can consider mixing your tea leaves with other herbs and infusions to give your cuppa even more flavor.
For example, make a spicy chai blend by combining Darjeeling tea with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and black pepper. For an herbal twist: Mix dried peppermint leaves with lavender buds, lemon peels, dried chamomile, and fresh ginger.
Follow us on Pinterest for more food news and drink recipes!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.