11 Lupita Nyong’o Hairstyles That Define #HairGoals
When it comes to style chameleons, it doesn’t get any better than Oscar-winning actress, director and producer Lupita Nyong’o. From fabulous flapper looks to sweet princess-inspired frocks, Lupita is never afraid to take it there with daring prints and heaps of embellishments. But for every head-turning ensemble this starlet debuts, there is always a next-level, double-take-worthy, boundary-breaking hairdo to match. Though we are always dying to know Lupita’s beauty secrets, it’s her ever-changing tresses that really give us life. Lupita has redefined natural hair goals with a variety of styles that range from cute and cropped to towering and sculpted — the only constant is that she always pushes the envelope. Scroll down for a few of our favorite looks from the style stunner for your pinning pleasure.
1. Natural and Short: Lupita introduced herself to the world via glamorous red carpet looks that focused on bold makeup and short, brushed-out, natural hair. She attended the Screen Actors Guild Awards in January of 2014 with a simple short ‘do that took a back seat to her hot pink lip and electric blue eyes. Bonus points for the teal Gucci 3D gown! (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
2. The Princess Fade: Lupita made our hearts skip a beat in March 2014 when she won an Academy Award for best actress. Her hair was the perfect combo of edgy and sweet, featuring a textured fade with a dainty headband. The unexpected style instantly upgraded the red carpet game for fellow short-haired starlets and set the tone for Lupita’s rep as a beauty tastemaker. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Asymmetrical Flapper: Lupita is constantly challenging traditional beauty standards, and this Met Gala look is no different. The combination of a slightly tinted and textured style with the offbeat asymmetrical cut was groundbreaking in its own right. Add a green silk flapper headband with intricate embellishments and you have yourself a red carpet moment that perfectly pairs contemporary flair with vintage vibes. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
4. Geometric Updo: Sporting a sky-high sculpted updo, Lupita made the world sit up and take notice. Taking inspo from music icon Nina Simone and traditional West African hairstyles, this look was truly unexpected on a night filled with beachy waves and sleek ponytails. The mix of geometrical shapes with textured extensions created an exaggerated style that solidified Lupita’s place in red carpet history. (Photo via Mark Sagliocco/Getty)
5. Structured Puff: Going with a much simpler style in June 2016, Lupita kicked extensions to the curb and opted for a brushed-out puff and smokey eye. The fashion maven rocked an understated, but still super stylish, cropped cut that played off her peachy glow. Her colorful gown is the star of the show in this look. (Photo via Bryan Bedder/Getty)
6. Double Headband: Straying from her sculpted styles, Lupita pairs a thin silver double headband with a short afro, showcasing her natural curls. We love how Lupita isn’t afraid to incorporate delicate details and girly hair accessories into her red carpet moments. (Photo via Gary Gershoff/Getty for Tony Awards Productions)
7. Cute and Curly: The tight curls and slight hint of volume in Lupita’s daytime hair is absolutely everything we want in summertime style. Her off-duty look is the best balance of tomboy chic with girlboss glam.
8. Avant-Garde Bob: In a shoot for Rhapsody Magazine, Lupita proved to be a daredevil yet again with this sharply cut bob. It’s not clear if this look was created using a wig or from straightening her tight curls. Either way, we’d love to see her rock it on the Oscar’s red carpet.
9. Twist out: In this 2015 snap from Instagram, Lupita shows us that she can look just as divine with a little length to her locks. Because she is everything, Lupita takes the classic short ‘do up a notch courtesy of twisted tendrils and a deep side part. We love this look on her and hope to see it again soon, because Queen Lupita is #hairgoals.
10. Braided Updo: Lupita donned a sleek braided updo at this year’s Comic Con, and we are living for it. The criss-cross style of her bun instantly upgrades her look from an everyday casual style to red carpet-ready. Our girl managed to redefine celeb chic yet again. Naturalistas, take note: This is effortless styling at its finest. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
11. Parted Fro: We already know Lupita is a triple threat when it comes to her career, but these three sharply styled puffs prove that the power of three works with her locks as well. Using softer makeup to play up her hair, Lupita isn’t one to shy away from a little contrast, which is why we adore her style so much. This look takes the asymmetrical hair trend to a whole new level. (Photo via Craig Barritt/Getty)
Want more hairspiration? Check us out on Pinterest.
(Featured photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)