While it can seem like a chore, deep cleaning your makeup brushes is absolutely imperative. Using dirty bristles on your eyes and face can spread bacteria, leading to clogged pores, breakouts, or even infection. Though you should make degunking your tools part of your everyday routine, busy mornings and on-the-go application leave little time for the task. Reach for one of these beauty bag remedies to keep cleaner brushes for clearer skin.
1. Sigma Spa Express Brush Cleaning Mat ($25): Stick the mat to the bottom of your sink, rinse the brushes, apply soap, then scrub ’em clean by rubbing the bristles against the different textured areas.
2. BeautyBlender Liquid BlenderCleanser ($18): BeautyBlender created a foam formula to keep your sponge in pristine condition, but you can also use the cleanser on your brushes.
3. Roque Cozzette Aromatherapy Brush Cleaner ($16): Spritz the spray directly onto your go-to tool or onto a paper towel, and watch all the product instantly come off in a few swipes. Prepare for notes of lavender and lemongrass that give a surprising spa moment with every stroke.
4. SEPHORA COLLECTION Purifying Brush Shampoo ($7): Believe us when we say not all soaps are created equally, people! Formulated with antibacterial ingredients, this option works wonders to make sure your brushes are free of makeup, dirt, and bacteria while properly conditioning the bristles so they last as long as possible.
5. Color Switch by Vera Mona Brush Cleaner ($18): After you’re done adding a trending hue to your look, use this bristle pad to remove the pigment from your brush without getting it wet — letting you move onto a different shade without mixing product.
6. Philosophy Purity Made Simple Facial Cleanser ($11+): Although intended as a facial cleanser, the product works double-duty to rid brushes of dirt and oil too.
Tweet us your favorite brush cleaning products @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.