These Mall Brands Are Secret Sources for Street Style Bait
Ready to discover your new stylish little secret? Believe it or not, it’s not some unheard-of online-only boutique or an under-the-radar brand we scouted on Instagram. It’s actually the mall. (And yes, we’re secretly singing the How I Met Your Mother’s hit “Let’s Go to the Mall” too.) Turns out the brands we forgot about while we were too busy scrolling through the endless pages of ASOS and The Garmentory were actually stepping up their styles in a major way. From back-to-school basics to fashion-forward silhouettes, these stores are stocked with tons of hidden gems just waiting to be a part of your next #OOTD.
1. EXPRESS Ribbed Sleeveless Lace-Up Pullover ($50): Summer’s lace-up trend isn’t going anywhere, so why not give it a fresh update for fall? We’re so into the oversized laces and unexpected placement on this ribbed sweater.
2. EXPRESS Original Fit Portofino Shirt ($60): EXPRESS gave their signature office-approved Portofino Shirt a flirty twist for off-duty outfits. Dress it down with denim cut-offs or go all out and tuck it into a sequin skirt for serious “whoa!” factor.
3. EXPRESS Genuine Suede Moto Jacket ($199): It’s no secret that suede is going to be one of this season’s biggest trends, so now is the perfect time to consider picking up an investment piece like this jacket. The caramel shade is luxuriously rich and pairs up perfectly with dark wash jeans or a silky black slip dress.
Abercrombie & Fitch
4. Abercrombie & Fitch Collection Slip Dress ($120): A slip dress is a must-have this season. This lingerie-inspired look gets an effortlessly cool update when paired with tomboy touches — think neutral sneakers or a white tee worn underneath.
5. Abercrombie & Fitch V-Neck Cami ($20): Every closet needs at least a few works-with-everything camis at the ready. Get more bang for your buck out of this summertime staple by layering under jackets, cardis and duster jackets as the temperatures drop.
6. Abercrombie & Fitch Faux Suede Wrap Skirt ($58): One twirl in this ballet-inspired wrap skirt will have you hitting peak pirouette perfection. Pair it with a lightweight sweater for a cozy look or a black bodysuit and heels for a girls’ night out.
7. Old Navy Skinny Denim Overalls ($45): Overalls are back in a big way, and here’s proof that they don’t have to give you flashbacks of the cartoon-emblazoned version you rocked as a kid. Pair ’em up with cute clogs and a feminine top.
8. Old Navy Wool-Blend Everyday Coat ($65): This coat is giving us serious French-girl vibes — tres chic, indeed. This budget-friendly topper is an absolute must for fall and winter. Pro Tip: We recommend sizing up to master that oversized-but-tailored menswear look that’s so hot right now.
9. Old Navy Long Open-Front Cardi ($43): A well-stocked fall wardrobe needs light, effortless layers like this one. Toss it on over everything, including dresses, casual tees and your nine-to-five-approved blouses.
10. LOFT Valley Floral Trousers ($70): If you’ve been craving a stylish statement-maker, look no further than this pair of floral printed pants. Just add chunky block heels and a boxy sweater for a fashion editor-approved vibe.
11. LOFT Sleeveless Swing Dress ($80): We won’t lie — when we stumbled upon this dress on the LOFT site, our jaws dropped. The origami silhouette and rich tomato shade is so chic, it could definitely pass as designer. We just wish it came in more colors so we could scoop them all up!
12. LOFT Floral Border Scarf ($35): This sweet little scarf is the perfect pick-me-up for a monochrome outfit, adding luxe to any look. Wear it around your neck or wrapped around your head for an instant upgrade.
13. GAP Tie-Neck Clover Print Dress ($70): Girls‘ Hannah Horvath once proudly stated that she thought she had at least one solid folk album in her. This dress has us thinking maybe we do too. With a fluttering hemline and throwback tie neckline, this dress is begging to be paired with a wide-brim felt hat and Western-inspired mules.
14. GAP Softspun Knit Roll-Sleeve Tee ($35): If you’ve ever wondered how It girls can make a plain tee look so good, it’s actually a lot simpler than you think. You just need to invest in a quality tee with a modern cut like this one. Pair it up with everything in your closet, from embellished skirts to your favorite jeans, to reimagine the shirt every time you wear it.
15. GAP Original 1969 Destructed Boyfriend Jeans ($80): There’s a reason why jeans are GAP’s bread and butter. Back in 1969, when GAP’s founder Don Fisher couldn’t find a pair of jeans that fit in his local store, he decided to start from scratch with a store of his own. To this day, this mall staple still crushes the denim game. We’re way into this pair of distressed boyfriend jeans with a relaxed fit and mid-rise.
Looking for more style inspo? Check out our Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)