Sometimes food is just so much cuter when served on a stick, and these waffle popsicles are no exception! They’ve been popping up all over recently, and now you can make them in the comfort of your own home. Below is my interpretation, with an adorable twist of course.
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons matcha
- chocolate of choice
- toppings of choice: nuts, coconut, sprinkles, cereal etc.
- food dye (optional)
1. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, and egg until combined. Gradually mix the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until incorporated.
2. Pre-heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto waffle iron, and cook until golden brown. Separate waffles with a knife, then insert popsicle sticks.
3. Melt chocolate in the microwave or double boiler. Dip waffles into the chocolate, as much or as little as you like! Before the chocolate sets, add on toppings of choice.
4. To make animal waffle pops: Dip one side of the waffles in melted chocolate. You can use natural coloring or oil-based food dye to color the chocolate. Gently tap your wrist so the excess chocolate drips off. Insert chocolate buttons as ears for the panda and bear, and pink marshmallows cut into triangles for the pig. Use marshmallow for the snout of the pig, and decorate other features with melted chocolate or cookie icing.
Pour batter onto the waffle iron, and cook until golden brown. Separate the waffles with a knife after they have cooled slightly. Carefully insert popsicle sticks.
Prepare the ingredients for decorating. Melt chocolate on a double boiler, or in 30-second intervals in the microwave. Dip the waffles into the chocolate, as much or as little as you like. Before the chocolate sets, add on your toppings!
To decorate as animals: Dip one side of the waffles in melted chocolate. Gently tap your wrist so the excess chocolate drips off. Insert chocolate buttons for the ears, and decorate other features with melted chocolate or cookie icing.
And that’s it! Cute little waffle pops — could you bear to eat them?