9 Trends to Steal from Men’s Fall 2016 Collections
Okay, so we’re still battling the summer heat, but it’s never too early to start planning ahead, especially when it comes to matters of style. With a slew of pre-fall finds showing up on your favorite online shops, it’s hard not to start daydreaming about your fall wardrobe. The summer months are all about flirty off-the-shoulder dresses and bright monokinis, but when autumn rolls around, the allure of menswear-inspired style essentials and minimalist androgynous vibes can’t be denied. So as you slowly start to construct your ideal cold-weather wardrobe (keyword being slowly — you’re savoring every one of those beach days), keep these hot-from-the-runway trends in mind. From classic check prints to badass bomber jackets, these nine borrowed-from-the-boys looks are sure things when it comes to injecting your #OOTD game with major attitude next season.
Yeehaw, y’all. The secret to sartorial success this season is embracing Western influences with open arms. Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and Antonio Marras mixed cowboy-inspired shirts with finely tailored trousers and polished steppers for an outlaw-in-the-city edge. Valentino, shown above, took a slightly more subtle approach to the trend with thoughtful embroidery and accessories. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
1. B-Low the Belt Bri Bri Leather Belt ($158): You don’t have to bust out the lasso to get in on some of that out-West action. Simply cinch this etched buckle belt around a classic A-line dress or a pair of high-waisted trousers, then get ready to embrace your free-spirited side.
Designers like Calvin Klein, Versace and Katie Eary (above) played with the idea of daytime metallics, taking everyday essentials to the next level with quicksilver fabric to create high-impact looks that keep it real. (Photo via Jeff Spicer/Getty)
2. Love Moschino Metallic Cropped Trousers ($354): One word: obsessed. Forget cropped jeans — these high-shine trousers are the bottoms you’ll be busting out on the daily. Pair ‘em with a rib knit tee, loafers and a bucket bag by day, then play up their ready-to-party feel with sassy stilettos, a silk top and a quirky statement clutch.
This isn’t your everyday athleisure. Calling to mind the glory days of ‘80s sportswear, this season’s collections, with MAN Wales Bonner (shown here), Gucci, Burberry and Kenzo among them, had a distinct athletic vibe that ventured into sophisticated territory thanks to clean lines and intelligent styling. (Photo via Stuart C. Wilson/Getty)
3. Adidas Originals Gazelle Sneaker ($80): Stepping out in a full-on tracksuit just isn’t your thing, but these bright suede kicks, on the other hand, were practically made with your fuss-free sensibilities in mind. Pair ‘em with smart suiting separates and a basic tee for an on-the-job ensemble that exudes athletic appeal, or style them alongside a statement dress for an It-girl-approved look.
Forget utility jackets — designers like Thom Browne were all about high-level regalia this season, ditching traditional khaki coats and camo for elegant, tailored pieces that definitely warrant a salute. (Photo via Francois Durand/Getty)
4. Mango Double-Breasted Jacket ($150): It’s time to trade out that blasé blazer for a double-breasted military jacket that isn’t messing around. Whether you team it with cropped jeans and pointed-toe slides or layer it over an ultra-feminine dress, the result will be downright DDG.
Kitsch Is It
Just in case you weren’t aware, kitsch is in, and the proof is in the pins and patches currently taking the fashion world by storm. If the J.W. Anderson catwalk is any indication, you totally have the green light to rock your favorite throwback embellishments into next season. (Photo via Jeff Spicer/Getty)
5. The WhitePepper Patch Jumper ($81): Who says you have to stick to snoozy sweats for lazy-girl Sundays? Instead, don this peppy number during an epic movie marathon or when you hit the streets to walk the dog. Pair with wide-legged trousers and a box clutch to instantly upgrade your OOTD. A kitschy sweatshirt is just what your wardrobe needs to keep the summer vibes going year round.
Wondering if that bomber is still going to be, erm, the bomb once fall rolls around? According to Burberry (shown above), Louis Vuitton and MSGM, the answer is an overwhelming yes. (Photo via Tristan Fewings/Getty)
6. Zara Floral Embroidered Bomber Jacket ($130): When your go-to leather jacket starts to feel meh, allow this embroidered bomber jacket to swoop in and save the day. While it’s a shoo-in for your t-shirt-and-jeans routine, it makes a mean addition to your GNO lineup, adding a tough-girl edge to shimmery slip dresses and minimalist shifts alike.
Okay, so fall plaids aren’t exactly what you call revolutionary, but Junya Watanabe, Dior Homme (shown here), Bottega Veneta and Raf Simons want you to think outside the box and do plaids differently, whether that means embracing bold prints or unexpected styling. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
7. ASOS Brushed Check Longline Jacket ($81): Whether you’re headed to a gallery for a buzz-worthy exhibition or your weekly brunch date with the girls, this oversized check jacket is equal parts practical and dapper. Wrap it around the shoulders for a lady-about-town kind of look, or pair it with a band tee and boyfriend jeans for an effortless weekend getup.
Arts + Crafts
Last season’s folksy flair is resurfacing in fall 2016 as sweaters with a handmade aesthetic, soft textured embellishments and crocheted tops with undeniable country charm. DIY never looked so good.
8. Tibi Marisol Embroidered Denim Skirt ($395): This ah-mazing embroidered skirt just might make you want to skip the rest of summer and head straight into fall. Worn with a mock neck sweater or peasant blouse and block-heeled ankle boots, it’ll fast become the cornerstone of your fall wardrobe.
Pretty in Pink
Step aside, moody autumnal hues — fall 2016 is all about thinking pink. From shades of vibrant coral to dusty rose tones, the traditionally feminine hue made a strong showing at Paul Smith, Kenzo (above), Vivienne Westwood and more, popping up in the form of boxy overcoats, sleek suiting and acid wash jeans that could be described as straight-up rad. (Photo via Francois Durand/Getty)
9. Acne Studios Marsy Twill Wide-Leg Pants ($189): Blend in? Never! Banish blasé on-the-job attire for good (life is too short) by adding these pale pink pants to your workweek mix. You’ll have best-dressed employee in the bag when you strut your stuff into the office in these wide-leg trousers, a printed silk shirt and that girlboss ‘tude.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)