Button-downs, plain-white tees and pumps — basics are what your make your wardrobe tick. While spring’s hottest trends may have already made it onto your radar, updating closet essentials is where you’ll get the biggest bang for your buck. They anchor every outfit, so a few fresh duds will make pieces like your favorite denim or go-to skirt feel brand new. This year, align your wardrobe with the here and now by looking to elements like clean lines, razor sharp seams and 3D details that lend an architectural aesthetic to tried-and-true pieces. Read on for the 14 ultra-modern basics that are about to take your wardrobe storm.
1. Zara Leather Mule Sandals ($90): The clean lines of these statuesque gold heels, as well as an of-the-moment mule silhouette, ensure these bright and bold mules will rack up the style points no matter where you are. The orange hue doesn’t hurt either.
2. Topshop Palazzo Pants ($105): Palazzo pants deliver movement and drama your average trousers just can’t, without giving up the polish your nine-to-five dress code requires. Play up their modern edge with a long-sleeve turtleneck top and super sleek ankle boots in an exotic print.
3. Raoul Layered Wrap Skirt ($128): Ruffles might be making a major comeback, but if the flirty embellishment isn’t totally your thing, these clean-cut layers offer a no-frills way to get in on the trend. Pair it with a slouchy sweater and loafer pumps during on-duty hours and then rock it with a high-neck crop top and peep-toe booties when you’re off the clock.
4. C/meo Collective Perfect Lie Top ($170): This boxy top takes uber-chic trends like a cold shoulder, statement sleeves and a halter neckline to new heights with structured design. It’ll make a show-stopping date night look whether styled with skinny jeans or a patterned pencil skirt.
5. Dara Ettinger Gold-Plated Quartz Choker ($295): Iridescent quartz and gleaming gold — this is how minimalists do achitectural glitz. Give pieces like turtlenecks, collared shirts and chunky knits an unexpected fashion-forward feel by partnering them with this rare gem.
6. ASOS Premium Bomber Jacket With Embroidery ($111): Give your go-to biker jacket a breather and lighten up your look with a modern-feeling white bomber. Geometric cutouts laced with mesh inject the topper with artistic appeal. Wear it with boyfriend jeans and haute trainers on the weekend, metallic backpack in tow, then swap it out for your blazer for a next-level workplace look.
7. Solace London Chyrsa Crop Top ($228): Crop tops can be crazy classy, and this one-shoulder number is proof. This piece is all about the lines, with flowy sleeves and a floor-length train. Knock ’em dead by teaming it with high-waist trousers and embellished pumps. Throw in a crystal-studded ear crawler for good measure.
8. COS Drape Detail A-Line Top ($125): Clean and carefully executed front folds feel like a sartorial take on origami. Let the blouse’s look-at-me details take center stage by styling it with cream-colored jeans (it’ll really make that green pop) and slide-on flats.
9. Tully Lou Parna Legging ($139): Amp up your athleisure game with leggings decked out in neon seams and color blocked panels. Outside the studio, jazz them up with an oversized white button-down and masculine loafers with a high-shine finish.
10. Raoul Kaylee Zip Up Jacket ($380): Meet the sports chic answer to the classic cape. The jacket’s boxy cut and structured sleeve give off runway-ready vibes, while cool mesh fabric screams athleisure excellence. Win best dressed when you pair it up with leather-look joggers and metallic trainers, and wow your work buds with your sartorial knowhow when you layer it over a feminine blouse and flares.
11. MSGM Short Dress ($515): An oversized tie-front takes a laid-back sweatshirt frock into full-blown architectural territory, earning the typically undone piece some serious style cred. Play up the structure of the eye-catching embellishment with knee-high boots, a circle crossbody bag and bar drop earrings.
12. Finders Keepers Get Away Short ($140): Pop-up panels give this pair of retro high-waisted shorts a 3D effect. Take ’em along on your next warm weather getaway and wear them with a white lattice-patterned top or a simple silk cami and strappy sandals. Stuck in the cold weather? Toss on a fuzzy knit and add sheer glitter-flecked tights.
13. ASOS Curve Wrap Front Tunic in Stripe ($38): Tunics are it in effortless dressing. They’re insta chic and look fly with just about everything in your closet. The asymmetric cut, neutral hues and mix of vertical and horizontal bands makes it the ultimate fusion of minimalist and mind-blowing style. You’ve never seen French Girl stripes like this before.
14. Forever21 Faux Leather Tote ($35): Upgrade that slouchy satchel for a tote with attitude. The clean leans, icy blue color and lustrous silver hardware say 21st century girl boss.
What do you think of this ultra-modern trend? Show us your favorite next-level basics on Instagram @britandco!