14 Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Closet Essentials in 2016
Keeping on top of all the latest trends is basically a full-time job, but if your schedule is already jam-packed, spending hours poring over the runways, blogs and magazines isn’t exactly an option. To get the new year off to a sartorially on-point start without going completely nuts, just stick to the basics. Seriously. Giving all those closet workhorses like t-shirts, blazers and jeans a much-needed update will give your entire wardrobe a whole new look, which is huge considering their staying power; they’re sure to stick around season after season. So, if reining in over-the-top trendy purchases is high on your style resolutions list, consider these 14 updated closet basics the perfect way to start it off right.
1. Mango Leather Blazer ($190): No matter what your style, a blazer is a wardrobe essential. For 2016, take a pass at traditional styles and opt for toppers with subtle wow-factor. This leather number packs all the polish of the tried-and-true jacket, but the badass fabric means your nine-to-five getup will be anything but boring.
3. Madewell Cashmere Convertible Turtleneck Sweater ($228): What’s better than a timeless basic? One that pulls double duty. This cozy knit has a removable turtleneck, meaning you get two versatile sweaters rolled into one.
4. Vince Camuto Sydni Hobo ($278): Hobo styles have been on the back burner for a while now, but in 2016 they’re bound to make a comeback after making a strong showing in more than a few resort campaigns. So swap out that bucket bag (yeah, we said it) or your go-to tote for one of these chic slouchy sacs instead.
6. J.Crew Wool Zip Pencil Skirt ($118): Equal parts pretty and tough, this modern take on the pencil skirt will become a fixture in your on- and off-duty rotations. Pair it with a Victorian-inspired frock and chunky lace-up boots for a feminine, yet don’t-mess-with-me vibe, then rock it with an oversized knit and slip-on sneakers on the weekend.
7. Zara Double Cloth Trousers ($40): You’ve finally pulled together the perfect workweek wardrobe. So now what? It’s time to get funky with bold color and cool prints. Start here. Perfectly polished, these brilliant blue trousers will turn up your office attire like whoa.
9. Reformation Brunswick Coat ($238): Faux fur coats might be having a moment, but the next topper that should be on your radar is this longline coat. They’re a fave of the street style elite, and *the* coat you need to have in tow in 2016. And did we mention they’ll keep the cold in check? Yeah, they do that too.
10. Nike Air Max 1 Jacquard Sneaker ($140): Athleisure is still going strong in 2016, so best get those sneakers up to speed. If your set is looking lackluster, upgrade your kicks with new modern silhouettes, graphic prints and platform soles.
11. D-Squared Eye Print T-Shirt ($147): Logo tees and pop culture products are so passé in 2016. Tuck ’em to the back of your closet and embrace new ways to make a statement in basics, like with this funky abstract tee.
12. Aark Eclipse Watch ($199): If working on the whole arriving-on-time thing is on your list of New Year’s resolutions, a chic watch is an absolute must-have. It’s a killer accessory and pint-sized planner all in one.
13. Zara Cropped Trousers ($70): If you haven’t yet hopped aboard the culotte bandwagon, make 2016 the year that you do — they’re not going anywhere. This sophisticated set has office-ready written all over it.
14. Forever21 Self-Tie Neck Blouse ($23): Lay that boring white button-down to rest. Bow-neck blouses are where it’s at this season with their boy-meets-girl flair. Rock it with tailored trousers, a sleek blazer and platform oxfords for office-ready look.