15 of the Best Off-Duty Street Style Looks Straight from Fashion Week
The Fashion Week fun doesn’t stop once the last model leaves the catwalk. Those impeccable Instababe-approved looks you saw out on the streets and plastered on your social feed? We’re taking them with us straight into next season, because hello. The street style getups ran the gamut, meaning there’s endless outfit inspo to be had, whether you’re headed to the office or keepin’ it real on the couch, with a glass of red wine and Netflix on standby. After a busy week of sartorial indulgence (such is life), we have to admit we have the latter on the brain, and coming off a fashion high, we can’t imagine suiting up in basic sweats and slippers to do it, ya dig? Luckily, we’ve amassed an arsenal of ensembles that perfectly blend lazy-girl effortlessness with It-girl cool, and they’re all here, ripe for the styling (brace yourselves for a plethora of cropped jeans, It-girl t-shirts and pro-level layering). Ready to step up your chill sesh repertoire? Scroll on for laid-back looks straight from the streets of New York Fashion Week.
1. Graphic Tee + Slit Skirt: The easiest way to solve any sartorial dilemma? Check on Cipriana and TK Quann, then watch as those wardrobe woes melt away. Exhibit A: Armed with a bold graphic tee, thigh-high slits and a pair of signature shades, you’re as good as golden, girl. Supreme off-duty style officially achieved.
2. Bomber Jacket + Culottes: Be it the annual country fair or a secret show downtown, a getup that puts denim culottes and a satin bomber front row center is okay in our book. Team it with a tee and pointed-toe mules by day, then up the ante after dark with a lacy blouse and a lucite box clutch.
3. Exotic Tee + Cropped Jeans + Loafers: Whoever says tees and jeans are basic has obviously never seen this A+ ensemble. Take the age-old combo to new heights with exotic prints, sophisticated kicks (loafers channeling the current mood) and of-the-moment denim for coffee and croissants with your crew or a trip to the weekly Saturday flea.
4. Shirt Dress + Distressed Denim + Sleeveless Blazer: Just when you thought the whole dress-over-pants thing couldn’t get any better, this dressed-down iteration stepped onto the sweet. Striking the perfect balance of uptown elegance and downtown cool, it’s the ultimate lazy-girl style hack — seriously. This one outfit will take you from running errands to an intimate dinner date in two seconds flat, no costume changes necessary. For fall, simply opt for a long sleeve option and pointed-toe ankle boots for a #winning look day or night.
5. Doubled Up Tops + Relaxed Fit Jeans: Sometimes more is actually more. Case in point: Italian fashion influencer Erika Boldrin’s doubled-up duds. The bell sleeved sweater and ruffled blouse work together to create a one-of-a-kind look that requires zero effort but epitomizes lazy-girl chic.
6. Leather Pinafore + Boots: Obsessed doesn’t even begin to cover it. Come the weekend, a leather pinafore proves itself as a hero piece in disguise, carrying you from event to event (even if it’s just an intimate house party with your crew) in flawless fashion. Forget the frills and over-the-top extras: It can totally stand on its own.
7. Midi Skirt + Bomber Jacket: Leave it to Happily Grey blogger Mary Seng to deliver an outfit featuring all of our favorite off-the-clock pieces. While the skirt and tee could easily be passed off as polished, it’s the fresh star-studded sneakers and color-block bomber jacket that grounds the getup in off-duty cool territory. The only thing missing? A knit beanie for a crisp afternoon stroll.
8. Chic Scarf + Silk Tee + Draped Jacket: Whether you’re wearing joggers or jeans, the easiest way to instantly elevate an outfit is to delicately drape a jacket around your shoulders and knot a chic silk scarf around your neck. Amy Sall has the look on lock, stepping up her classy-meets-casual #OOTD with quicksilver loafers, signature shades and delicate drop earrings. Your new weekend standard? We say yes.
9. Slip Dress + Tee + Loafers: Slip dresses aren’t solely reserved for swanky soirees and dinner dates — they’re the cornerstone of laid-back looks that are second to none. The proof? This ridiculously rad getup with an undeniable rocker edge. It moves beyond the realm of creative layering with a wild leopard print, bold graphics and luxe accessories.
10. Embroidered Jacket + Shorts: While it won’t be shorts weather for much longer, and in some parts of the country that period has come and gone, this foolproof formula will serve you right all season long. Swap out your trusty denim jacket for an embroidered number with funky patches, and proceed to pair with a simple white tee and high-waisted jeans. Gear up for an afternoon of big city exploration with a pair of bright lace-up flats and a luxe leather backpack.
11. Utility Jacket + Bow Neck Blouse + Mini Skirt: Between the tricked-out utility jacket, studded steppers and elegant bow neck blouse, there’s a lot to love about this dressed-up-dressed-down look. The only rule? Keep hair and makeup on the understated side (opt for a natural glow and subtle berry lip) to allow your threads to do all the talking.
12. Embroidered Jacket + Suede Glove Shoes: The key to making everyday denim feel like a million bucks? Elevated accessories and outerwear with ladylike flair. Take, for example, Alex Stedman’s pink suede block heels, embroidered jacket and top handle bag — the luxe fabrics, intricate handwork and structural shapes lend an element of sophistication to a standard t-shirt and jeans duo.
13. Open Button Down + Asymmetric Skirt + Sneakers: If you’ve been wondering how to give that extensive arsenal of working-girl duds an off-the-clock edge, Veronika Heilbrunner is the woman you want to watch. A little unbuttoning action, statement sunnies and a simple pair of sneakers are all you need to turn an otherwise polished look into the perfect just chillin’ ensemble.
14. Graphic Tee + Bow Embellished Slides + Raw Edge Denim: For a look that reads French-girl chic in a snap, stick to the basics. Start with a solid base, in this case raw edge denim and a graphic tee (bonus points for Francophile flair), then layer on a few refined extras for an unfussy look that’s ready for whatever comes your way. Outerwear is essential for setting the tone you’re hoping to achieve: A metallic leather jacket is perfect for mixing and mingling after dark, while a classic blazer or pastel trench lends the look a crazy classy feel.
15. Overalls + Elegant Blouse: Don’t pack up those overalls just yet. The denim onesie is still a major *thing* as evidenced by Natalie Suarez of Natalie Off Duty. To give the piece a more grown-up flavor, wear it with a feminine blouse, elegant cross-body bag and an eclectic accessory or two for a leisurely lunch date or an afternoon of vintage shopping.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!