7 Apps That Are Basically a Personal Trainer on Your Phone
Thanks to delicious holiday recipes, this time of the year is often marked by lots of good eating. Gingerbread cookies by the dozen, turkey, hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows, eggnog, pumpkin pies and lots and lots of champagne in pretty glasses. Throw in a heap of Netflix and chillin’ (like literal Netflix + chilling) and, well, we’re ready to make some new fitness goals. To keep those resolutions long into 2016, we need a personal coach to pump us up, encourage us and at times, kick our butts. Luckily, thanks to our handy gadgets, you don’t have to shell out the big bucks anymore. Here are seven workout apps that will put a personal trainer right in your pocket.
FitStar is the gold standard when is comes to personal training apps. The brainchild of NFL player Tony Gonzalez, this DL is such an intelligent app, it’s as though you were training with a real person. After every move, the app will ask you how many reps you completed and the difficulty of the workout. Based on your answers, the app will customize your workouts over time according to your strengths and weaknesses. Smart and personal.
2. Sworkit: Sworkit aims to be the app that will fit your schedule no matter what sort of hurdles life throws in your way. You can customize your workout to last as long as you’d like it to and also select moves for only the parts of the body you’d like to focus on.
3. Fitmo: This DL literally puts a personal trainer on your phone… as in, you are video conferencing in with your trainer during a session. The best part is Fitmo provides you with a list of pros that you can hire and your coach will then tailor your training according to your needs.
DL It: Free on iOS
4. Spring Moves: When it comes to running apps, Spring Moves tops the list. The music bumping in the background is like the heartbeat of your running sesh. Spring Moves allows you to select which genres are your fave and provides you with the perfect soundtrack to your run. It’ll also log your time and track your progress.
DL It: Free on iOS
5. Runtastic: Another running app, Runtastic will track your time and map your distance, but it’ll also keep tabs on your heart rate and analyze your progress so that you can improve and adjust accordingly. Running that marathon can finally come off your bucket list.
6. CARROT Fit: CARROT is one sassy virtual personal trainer with her tongue-in-cheek, Justin Bieber-bashing drill sergeant-like locution. You might actually get a real workout in between the laughing — and yes, nothing is sacred or safe with CARROT around.
DL It: $2.99 on iOS
7. Nike+ Training Club: Nike’s own running and exercise app is a must-have in the personal training app arena. Yes, it tracks your runs. Yes, it even plays music so you can run in peace. It also provides you WODs you can do along with with brief videos to illustrate specific workouts.