Power Up Like a Pro! 28 Recipes for Smart Post-Workout Snacking
Here’s the scoop: Post-workout snacking can increase metabolism and help you burn more calories. Yes, it’s true… when you snack smart, that is. After a tough gym session, your body needs to refuel. Wait too long, and you’ll find yourself raiding a snack machine or pulling into the nearest fast-food drive thru. Don’t put yourself between a rock and a very high-calorie hard place. Make these 28 nutrient-rich snacks and pack them in your gym bag for the perfect post-workout power-up!
2. Sweet and Spicy Nuts: Nuts are rich in fats. Uh, the good kind. Loaded with heart-healthy fats, nuts are also a great way to boost your intake of essential nutrients such as protein, iron, and vitamin E. (via Pomelo)
3. Homemade “Kind” Breakfast Bars: You can throw together this Kind-bar knockoff in 15 minutes tops. Even better, use whatever dried fruits and nuts you have on hand. Or cater to your cravings! (via Foolproof Living)
4. Healthy Cookie Dough Bars: Did someone say “healthy cookie dough?” These bars are bursting with wholesome goodies: nuts, dates, peanut butter, and even a bit of dark chocolate. Count us in! (via Untrained Housewife)
10. Homemade Fruit Rollups: The strawberries in your fridge are just waiting to be turned into sweet rollups. In fact, strawberries are the only ingredient you need. Fitness experts claim that antioxidants can enhance post-workout recovery. Get your fix with these berry rollups (forget supplements!)… aaaaand… you’re not listening anymore, are you? Enjoy. (via Cincy Shopper)
12. Chocolate Cherry Almond Krispy Treats: This healthy no-bake snack is virtually a Rice Krispie treat on steroids. Chocolatey, whole-wheat bars are bursting with cherry flavor and topped off with a tart pomegranate drizzle. If snacks this good are wrong, we don’t want to be right. (via Desserts with Benefits)
15. Clean Blueberry Protein Muffins: Prepare yourself. Your gym buddy will be eyeing these muffins accusingly. Never mind, you’ve got a line: Guilt free. That’s right. These protein-packed muffins have absolutely no butter, flour, or sugar. Epic. (via Eat Yourself Skinny)
16. No-Bake Chewy Fiber One Protein Cookies: The thought of these tasty protein cookies waiting in your gym bag might be just the thing to push you through a grueling workout. Seriously, they’re a game changer. (via Betty Crocker)
17. Trail Mix Energy Bites: Trail mix collides with honey and peanut butter, and bam! Energy bite explosion! To save time, opt to press the mixture into a baking dish and create bars rather than forming individual balls. (via Gimme Some Oven)
18. Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas) Eight Ways: There’s a million ways to enjoy the tasty pumpkin seed, and her are eight ideas to get you started. From Jamaican Jerk to Latte, there’s a flavor for every taste bud. (via Rachel Cooks)
22. Healthy, Soft, and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies: Surprise! We’ve even found a healthy cookie for you. Quick tip: making these sweeties may require some extra planning unless your pantry is usually stocked with ingredients like peanut flour and granulated erythritol. (via Desserts with Benefits)
26. Vibrant Pistachio Lime Crunch Bars: Cue bright colors and bold flavors. When you feel the need to try a new healthy snack, these vibrant pistachio-lime crunch bars will fit the bill. (via Spa Bettie)
28. Healthy Travel Mix: This mix is dangerously good; dangerous because it’s delicious. And also because the reason we’re in the gym to begin with has something to do with a few too many snacks. Oopsie. (via With Style and Grace)
Let’s have a peek inside your gym bag! Tell us: What are your go-to post-workout snacks?